Dare to Dream

|| Teen Fiction || Humour ||

Serena DeLuca is the hottest actress of the moment, filming with Hollywood heartthrob is but a dream that millions of girls would give their lives to live. But Serena doesn't want any of that, she wants to be done with the stress and lies that come with her career, she wants to be normal. 

Lauren Keyes is plain and unimportant. She's looked over by everyone, unappreciated by all and the only person that notices her is Brent, the bully. Maybe that's why, when she bumps into Serena DeLaurent on a school trip to Hollywood she's more than eager to agree to her crazy plan. What could possibly go wrong ?

~x~

"Do you really think that you could actually pass as me?" Serena Luca let out a loud laugh, throwing her head back in a mocking way as she held out a hand, apparently to try and steady her already alarmingly wobbly figure.

"I think she could." My best friend Alyssa spoke up indignantly, her eyes narrowing at the pristine blonde who had now pushed herself up onto the counter, sat in front of the mirror alongside the rows of sinks. The bright bathroom lights caught her skin where she had had it coated earlier in a layer of foundation but even without it I bet it would still look as flawless as it always did with it.

"She is a pathetic nobody, literally, not even her fellow students notice her, apart from you, don't think I haven't seen them tonight avoiding the poor child like she has a deathly case of the mumps. I, on the other hand, am Serena Luca. The Serena Luca. There isn't anyone out there quite like me." She stated simply, holding her hand out in front of her again, examining her long finger nails this time however and I was starting to feel how ridiculous this sounded.

She was a celebrity, she was famous, a signer, an actress, everyone knew her name and I was just me. I was a nobody, just like she had said; it would have hurt more if I hadn't already heard it nearly every day for the past four years of my life.

"Well I think my best friend does a good job of at least looking like you." Alyssa smirked, raising an eyebrow at Serena which just seemed to annoy her further.

"Looks aren't everything child." Serena snapped.

"Really? Could have fooled me."

Pursing her lips together, Serena turned her steely gaze onto me, surveying me through her purposely half-closed eyes and she shook her head.

"So the girl looks a little bit like me but she can't be me. When you said you had a way to give me a break this is not what I meant." Serena turned back towards the mirror, spinning herself from here makeshift seat and pulling a tube of lip-gloss that she began to apply generously to her plush lips making them appear bigger and pinker than ever before.

"Fine, if you want a chance you can have a chance." She finally said, turning around to face us both again. "I have a dinner tomorrow with the producer of my new album, I'll meet you at the café on Raven Street at 9am and you can go to the dinner instead of me. If you do a good job you can be me for a year."

I bit down on my lip again, shaking my head in a negative way at the same time as Alyssa was nodding her vigorously. We met gazes and Alyssa narrowed her eyes at me in confusion, I just shook my head again in fear. There was no way that I could do this; I have nowhere near enough confidence to be able to pull a stunt like this off.

"Can we... Get back to you on that?" Alyssa spoke up suddenly and Serena let out a sigh, standing up and brushing off her black dress.

"Turn up to the café tomorrow and it's a yes. Don't turn up and it's a no, your choice." Serena stated, flashing us her famous award-winning smile as she turned and strutted away. The bathroom door swung shut behind her with a finalising slam and I turned to Alyssa in shock, my mouth dropping open.

"What. Was. That?" I demanded.