Chapter 18: Dreams

Chapter 18: Dreams

"So what exactly are you capable of?" I asked, eyes roaming with renewed curiosity.

He gave me an odd look and I scoffed at his feigned ignorance.

"Oh, don't act like you don't know what I'm talking about. Your superpowers, what are they?"

"Superpowers?"

"You know, like Batman and Superman." I gave him two exemplary heroes off the top of my head, but then reconsidered the former.

"You know what, forget Batman. Let's go with Wonder Woman instead."

"Are these people that I am supposed to know?"

"You don't know any DC Comics fictional superheroes?"

He shook his head.

"What about Marvel? To be honest, I always thought they were better anyway. It wouldn't be a surprise if you knew about them instead."

"I am afraid not."

I couldn't help displaying how appalled I was at that. "You could've gotten your ass beat as a kid for saying something like that. No, even as an adult you could still feel the brunt of the respective fans each fictional world has garnered. I mean, I wouldn't blame them for roasting you. These things are common knowledge."

"You're forgetting that I'm not human, so that doesn't apply to me."

"But don't you mingle with us? Don't you know about what we're interested in?"

"To some extent." He replied gruffly.

"How disappointing." I mused before recalling something related to my original question.

"You said your wings are bound so that rules out flying. What about reading people's minds? Can you do that?" I asked, remembering how he had looked at me as if he knew what I was thinking in the office on his first day.

"No, I cannot read your mind." My eyes widened at how he said your instead of phrasing it generally. "But you're so easy to read, every glance of yours has its own meaning, so if that is equivalent to being a mind reader, then yes I am. Well, at least in your case."

I rolled my eyes at that. "I'm not easy to read."

"Whatever helps you sleep at night."

"Speaking of sleeping at night..."

My eyes examined him closely for any hints of lying.

He did say he wasn't good at doing it when we first met, so I was wondering if that was a personality trait or a genetics problem.

"Do you have the ability to..." I trailed off, trying to find the right words to say. But when did I ever think about anything before saying it? Huh, he really was affecting me in the weirdest way. "Can you invade someone's dream and uh, touch them inappropriately?"

"Are you asking if I've ever mindfucked you?"

So much for having a filter.

I flushed.

"I thought your kind is supposed to be pure and conservative! How can you say something like that?"

"Words are just words, Isabelle. It's just humanity's preconceptions that make them out to be what they originally are not. They're just labels."

"But they still have meanings! Bad meanings."

"In your world they do, not mine." He casually shrugged.