Chapter 15: Cupid

Chapter 15: Cupid

The voice ahead of us corrected me fiercely and we both turned to see a figure emerge from the darkness. He brought an air similar to the man beside me, but more callous and egotistical. My eyes traveled to Angelo who almost groaned at the sight of him.

"How did you know that I was here?"

"I heard through the grapevine that you were looking for means to bring your beloved's memories back."

Angelo's eyes turned to splits. "Did you look through the sacred ball?"

The stranger gave a sheepish smile. "I couldn't help it. You've descended for years and I couldn't get a hold of you. It didn't help that you've been covering your tracks so well. For someone who had a good portion of their powers taken away you're still pretty good, Fallen."

"I thought I told you to stop calling me that." He growled.

Ignoring Angelo's words like it was a hobby, he hopped over to me daringly.

"It's a pity that you don't remember me. We used to have so much fun together, Elisabetta."

"I think you've mistaken me for someone else. My name is Isabelle."

"Oh, she really is pitiful." He mused but it sounded almost teasing.

I shot daggers at him. "And who are you to determine that?"

He froze, eyes flashing a golden streak. Then almost as if he had found something comical in the way I was treating him, he outstretched his hands towards me, "Nice to meet you. I'm Eros—what your kind considers the deity of love in all its varieties, but you can just call me Cupid. We have known each other for so long after all." He winked at me and I almost fainted.

"Do not take his hand!" Angelo interrupted, slapping away the hand of the man who had just called himself Cupid.

"This is precisely why I have been avoiding you," he said towards the newcomer with a certain strictness. "You and Eli—Isabelle never had the nicest relationship. You two are like fire and ice. Mortal enemies."

"Oh, stop exaggerating, Angelo." Cupid threw his head back with a distressed moan. "You and I both know that's only because your partner has always been the only one charming enough to keep up with my verbal spars."

"And that is the reason why she has a dreadful mouth till this day," he accused and I shouted "Hey!" but he only dismissed me continuing on. "You are a bad influence on her. Why do you think instead of going to you for advice I traveled all the way to see a wizard? You should know the distinction in your powers well enough to decipher who is more proficient in giving me a better answer. I just couldn't trust you to not do something childish like turning her into a pumpkin instead!"

"I've already done that," he boasted and Angelo's face ticked. "But! I promise that I won't do anything like that if you let me help you two."

"Why should I believe you? You already went against your promise of respecting my decision to come here. You said you would give me the desired time after finding where she had been reborn to confirm her identity but here you are, after using a sacred artifact at that."

Cupid's eyes darkened. "God isn't giving me hell for it so why are? Loosen up, Fallen. This holier than thou attitude will get you nowhere. No wonder you almost got kicked out of heaven."

Heaven? As in actual heaven?

A wave of anger rolled off Angelo's body as he stepped towards him and I shivered at the threat of his next words, "I dare you to say that again."