Chapter 28: Realistic

"When I wake up, I'm afraid somebody else might take my place."

- The Neighbourhood, Afraid

That's all I have to say, folks ;)

***

Chapter 28: Realistic

"Did they leave already? Without saying goodbye?"

Genie handed me the cup of tea she had been brewing on the old-looking stove. It didn't even seem to be working based on the kettle which still had water vapors settled on its surface. She'd gone for that alternative instead.

I took it from her with a grumpy "thanks" and flopped down onto the living room sofa. Not because I had any grievances against her and wasn't grateful for a warm beverage but because those two imbeciles and sorry excuse of mythical men totally went about their day without us.

"Wasn't the point of us coming on this trip to sightsee things we've never seen before?"

"You mean you," she corrected, sitting opposite of me across the fireplace.

It burned a dancing glow between us and I couldn't help but wonder why it was suddenly so cold inside here.

"The entire point of this trip was for you to come see a land you've never seen before to potentially remember the past. Which, I honestly feel, is a bootless errand. It is by sorcery that you forgot, thus it should be by similar methods that you shall remember."

"Look at you talking like the old hag you are," I mumbled in disdain.

She rolled her eyes but there was no ill intentions behind it.

"I'm just saying," she said, wrapping a blanket around her shoulders. "If you truly want to remember what happened and who you were I think it's best if you just took the chance and seduced Angelo—"

"I won't—"

"Or you can find someone else who's willing to help you for a price."

I perked up.

This was the first time another alternative was being laid out onto the tables.

"You're telling me all along there was another way? And you're just letting me know now?"

She placed her mug down, suddenly as icy as this damn temperature was.

I looked around, heavily dosed with confusion.

"I only didn't tell you because it's not the most ideal option but this wild goose chase isn't gonna do much for either of us here. The reason Cupid and Angelo have us locked up here is because they are also aware of that. Angelo is hopeful but Cupid is realistic. And as much as I honor Angelo and his beliefs, I feel like I have to be on Cupid's side here."