31. Launching Alexandria

Start from the beginning

"Cheryl! Where are you?" I said in my head.

"Near the dessert section, hun," came her voice.

Hiding the AI book under my robe, I walked with quick steps, avoiding possible eye contact.

"Ah, Miss, if I could know where you took this sweet from?" I asked a passing lady, who carried three bowls of Melomakarona. Balancing it somehow in her arms. It was an egg-shaped Greek dessert made from flour, olive oil, and honey.

"It's right in the middle of this circle if you could see this big circle made by the guards in this complex?" I nodded my head.
A figure waved their hands wildly in my direction, and I squinted my eyes to find a woman wearing the same beige colour dress as mine.

"Sweetie, can you please help me carry these? It's a shame my family wants more sweets to hog on." I couldn't help but laugh. She must be very annoyed with her family.

After helping her out, I squeezed my way through the crowd and reached the dessert section. Lines of sweets were spread on the long table. Varieties that I'd never seen, lest tasted before.

"Caught ya!" Someone gripped me from behind in a crushing hug. I closed my eyes and pressed my mouth. It was just so difficult to stop the waterworks now.

"Hey Cors, what happened, baby?" Cheryl turned me around, moving her hand gently on my face.

"I missed you so much!" My hands went around to hold her in a tight hug. I remember going nowhere if it wasn't with her, because she was the one to make sure I was okay.

"Aww, calm down. You'll make me cry too," she rubbed the back of my head,
"You're a grown-up woman now, shh... a brave woman. And oh damn, you'll ruin the kohl around your eyes," she jerked me forward to check if I was crying black tears.

"Don't worry," I sniggered, wiping the tears with the edge of my cloth, "Don't you know Egyptian kohl has nitric oxide in it? For safety, I ordered Maybelline eyeliner from the AI book,"

"Whoa, intelligent girl, huh? Well, as of me, I've decided to use kohl till it kills me and sends me back to our century," she chuckled.

"Now come with me, I'm gonna make you meet some badass women here," I was hesitant a bit until she tugged me at the end of the dessert section.

"I guess I've seen you somewhere," the woman with an elegant black braid pointed out, making me squirm under her gaze, "Did I spot you in the camps?"

"You must have, gracious lady," I told her everything about being a prize then becoming a writer, at which she congratulated me.

"I didn't want to wake them because they were sleeping peacefully," Bellanca informed when Helaine asked about her cubs. She was sad but did well to hide it.

"The cubs were so cute. I literally forgot to ask your name that day," the woman giggled, as we took food from the buffet that was laid out.

Recipes from Egypt and Greece were taken, including the ones from Persia, Babylon and the neighbouring kingdoms.

"Haha, it's fine. My name is Helaine and I'll call you Bell," the lady smiled as she took a milk custard on her plate.