Chapter Thirty-Six

Roz

FFAU Y TYWYSOG

PLANET MYTHOS

SIX WEEKS LATER

"Bottoms up!"

River, Donny, and I clinked our small silver flasks together as the dark orange sun started its descent.

River stuffed his flask back into the hidden inside pocket of his jacket. "Whew! Feel the burn. It's been a while since the Titian's and I have hung out like this."

"Holy shit! Now I remember the reason I swore off the hard stuff," Donny choked out, making a face and handing his flask off to Perla.

I leaned back and let the whiskey burn its way down my throat. I played with my flask as the familiar warmth spread throughout my body. Titian's Brew and I were old friends.

'Roz?'

Whoa. I sat up straighter, nearly decapitating myself on one of the thin metal pieces underneath the awning. There was a voice I hadn't heard in my head in a long time. I set the flask down in the dirt at my feet before I dropped it and drew the curious attention of the others.

The hesitance in which she mentally said my name piqued my curiosity more than anything.

'Yeah, Aerin?'

There was a pregnant pause. 'Sorry, I'm in the middle of a not so fair fight with that Fire Elemental you've had me tracking. We've got an even bigger problem than pissed off Firestarters. Lucifer's hounds are circling the town, salivating at the prospect of dragging some poor soul into the bowels of Hell tonight.

Uh... Well. Hmm... That was...interesting. Aerin was in the middle of a fight and she came to me for help. Oh, yeah. And Hellhounds were circling the town like vultures waiting for their prey to keel over.

Something was seriously wrong with this picture. It was like Ffau Y Tywysog was suddenly ground zero for the supernatural.

My demonic radar was going wild in the vicinity of the east woods. The tattoo on my left forearm burned at supernova levels.

I sighed out loud. Groaning inwardly, I pushed myself to my feet. "Party time is over. We've got Hellhounds roaming close by."

River groaned. "Of course they are. We might as well cut them off at the pass. A fight beats drunk in a park anyway."

I switched back to Aerin. 'River and I have the hounds covered. You need any help?'

Aerin yelled a list of explicatives that would make a sailor blush into my mind. 'Despite what it sounds like, I'm good.'

She clicked off.

River and I shared a look, edging out way out from underneath the pavilion. Once we were out of sight from the others, we took off towards the east woods like bats out of Hell.

A few feet from the woods, we stopped dead when a massive growl resounded through the night air like a sonic boom.

I stared at the massive growling and drooling Doberman, raising my hands in the air as I tried my hardest not to stare into its glowing red eyes. Standing still as a statue, I said, in the calmest voice I could muster, "Good, Fido. Nice, Fido. Fido doesn't want this soul tonight. Sit. Stay. Good boy."

The massive black dog, three times the size of a normal Doberman, angrily snapped its jaw, drool running out of its mouth like a river.

A blood curtailing scream pierced the night air.