Chapter Eighteen

Aerin

Three weeks later, I was crossing the same park at night, steadily relaxing my breathing from my jog on one of the many running trails, when I suddenly found myself boxed in with a brick wall at my back.

My eyes narrowed, picking Kai out of the group of four men dressed from head-to-toe in black instantly.

He smiled, dropping a canister onto the grass between us.

I swore, watching as the canister opened. Moaning in pain, I grabbed my head as a low, high pitched beeping sound emitted from the open canister a second before the pulse wave hit.

"A magnetic pulse wave is so not playing fair," I grumbled, letting my head go as I stood up straighter, glaring at Kai.

Kai shrugged. "You having those pesky little demonic powers isn't fair either. I'm just leveling the playing field."

"So much manpower for a mere teenage girl," I observed, ignoring his logic.

"Yeah, well, we both know you're not your average teenage girl. You took Daven out without breaking a sweat and he was one of our best. So, I'm not taking any chances."

Kai signaled to one of the men to his left. The man instantly shifted into a wolf. Kai pulled something out of his pocket, putting the small object into the animal's mouth.

The brown wolf padded over to me, nudging my hand. When he growled low in his throat, I rolled my eyes, holding my hand out. The wolf slid the bracelet onto my wrist. Transforming back into a fully clothed man, he reached over and pushed the small red button on the metal bracelet.

"Seriously?" I asked the man as he sauntered back over to Kai's side. With a barely contained groan, I shrugged nonchalantly, shooting Kai a pitying look. "If Daven was one of your best men—if you can even call him a man—then I really think you and Eden need to raise your expectation level on your experiments."

Daven was a sociopath that played with his victims until they were begging for him to kill them. I wasn't the one to take him out, per se, but I wasn't going to tell them that. I also wasn't mourning the hybrid's death.

I was starting to think Eden and his backers underestimated what I was capable of now that I was out from under their control.

"You've got to be kidding me!" I yelled as a current of electricity suddenly coursed through my body.

Kai laughed. "Did you seriously think that I would neutralize the Jekyll part of your genetic makeup without taking out the Hyde half? Yes, I know a steady stream of electricity isn't enough to keep Hyde at bay, but the bracelet has a charm cast by our best warlock embedded into the current. It is more than capable of keeping Hyde in hibernation until we are done with this little meeting of the minds."

I looked at Kai like he was an idiot. "Meeting of the minds? Is that what we're calling these run-ins now?"

I gritted my teeth as one of Kai's henchmen—or dogs, either term fit the shifter and werewolf he'd surrounded himself with—ran his hands over my body. He was seriously patting me down for weapons. They knew I was a Dark Guardian, even though they couldn't sense me since they had neutralized my powers, but really?

It's not like I really needed my knife to handle most situations my heritage got me into. My powers from both sides of my genetic code usually covered me.

Unless, of course, the supernatural creatures I hunted came prepared.

I stared at Kai incredulously. "I'm in a tank top and running shorts with no pockets. Are you serious right now? My clothes are skintight, where the hell am I going to hide my Kerambit or any other weapon? Even with a cloaking spell, it's impractical when jogging."