Chapter Twenty-Five

Aerin

After school, I walked into the small open library, looking for Roz. I was ready to go home and crash. It had been a late night and an early morning.

More like I was ready to go home and plot, but sleep sounded less evil. I needed to come up with a way to get rid of River. Or, at the very least, control him. Roz just happened to be my ride today, so I wasn't going to get to plot my evil plan or crash in my own bed without him.

I found him sitting in one of the overstuffed chairs, deep in conversation with someone. I crossed the small open space and swore under my breath.

Damn it.

He was deep in conversation with River.

Seriously? This couldn't be good and come on. This so wasn't cool.

I cleared my throat, holding my hand out for the keys. "Sorry to interrupt, uh, whatever this is. I'll just be waiting for you in the car."

Roz arched an eyebrow. "You've been testy, leaning towards bitchy, all day Inigo, but that was just downright rude."

In my peripheral vision, I watched River quirk and eyebrow, the beginning of a grin toying with the corners of his mouth. I fought the strong urge to wipe that grin off his face. Instead, I ignored him and kept my attention focused on my boyfriend.

I wiggled my fingers impatiently, waiting for the keys to appear in the palm of my hand.

"Since my girlfriend insists on being rude," Roz said pointedly, dangling the keys just out of my reach, "I'll make sure to get to the bottom of why she hates you so much. And why she refers to you as the Spawn of Satan."

Really? He needed to let this go, like now.

And I didn't think he was the Spawn of Satan. I knew he was.

"Good to see you again, River. Let's not do this again any time soon. Now, give me the damn keys, Joker." I still hadn't looked in River's direction. I felt his curious eyes boring into the back of my head.

"Joker, give the poor girl the keys before her head starts spinning around and she plays out that scene from The Exorcist. I really don't take offense to her standoffish behavior. I'm used to it."

Roz tossed me the keys. "I'll be down when I'm finished here." The look he shot me said that he wasn't happy with my behavior.

In all honesty, I really didn't care if he approved. I wanted out of the building as fast as inhumanly possible.

"Don't even think about trying anything."

"Bite me, Osric," was my response as I turned on my heel and exited the library.

***

Later that night, I slipped into a pair of black running shorts, a black T-shirt, and black socks and running shoes. Yes, there was a theme to my wardrobe. Slipping out of the apartment, I walked the few blocks to the park.

Ignoring the memories that it brought on, I cut through the park and almost ran to the running trail that made its way through the woods surrounding the park.

A figure, dressed similar to me in all black, leaned against an oak tree, looking at their watch. I approached the figure slowly. I was deciding whether or not I wanted to kill him or go along with our nightly run.

I was still royally pissed off about the ambush at school. I knew I was being bitchy and it wasn't that big of a deal, but things had just gotten back to somewhat normal between Roz and I. I wasn't ready to test that yet.