chapter 26

After calming each other down with a sip of double iced chocolate, the two proceeded to have a proper conversation within the peaceful confines of the city.

"So Diake. What do you know about yourself?" Himeko asked.

"Weirdly enough, not too much. I know I'm supposed to remember everything since I was 10, but. . ." Diake trailed off, his eyes and attention drifting away to the other places in the surprisingly bustling city. It might be possible that it was due to the fact that it was morning rush, as people in suits and children of his age or younger in uniforms passing by the cafe in rapid succession, with the vehicles driving through traffic as people rushed to their work as fast as possible.

". . . ." The boy found himself glancing outside the cafe, particularly glancing at the students that came and went, reminiscing of the times where he had. . . . . Had. . . . . . .

'Do I remember who I was before all this?' Diake suddenly thought, his face pale at the sudden realization. What happened to his memories? Why is he forgetting his own past? How can his brain even do such a thing?

He suddenly experienced a migraine, as he held his head and his face slightly contorted in pain. The one that he saw in his mind was a woman that he had seen in a dream, long time ago. Her giant wings, her orange eyes, her long white flowing hair and that sadistic smile.

He knew he had seen her before, but the migraine was getting in the way of his thoughts.

"Diake?" Himeko called out worriedly, seeing the boy holding his head and his pained expression.

"A migraine," the boy replied softly, before the pain slowly dissipated and soon disappeared. Heaving a sigh of relief, he turned his attention to Himeko.

"Himeko, I have a question for you. Answer honestly," he began, which concerned Himeko, but knowing the boy wanted some answers, she nodded.

"Do you know anything about the 2nd Honkai War? I heard my aunt was in that war and died. Know anything about that?" Diake asked. He had a feeling that that incident had some involvement with the woman he saw in his dream.

The name he had long forgotten, but her looks, he could not.

"Well, how much do you--"

"I know nothing about it. That's why I asked, Himeko," Diake immediately, and almost rudely replied to Himeko, who blinked in his quick response.

"I see. Well, you didn't know Kiana had parents, did you?" Himeko asked him.

"Everyone does. If I had to guess, the two died fighting in the 2nd Honkai War?" Diake asked.

"No. Only her mother died in the war. . . Let me restart from the beginning."

Diake leaned forward in anticipation on what she would explain to him regarding the war, with the words of Theresa faint within his mind.

"In the year 2000, in Siberia, no less, was when the 2nd Honkai War occured. It's likely your aunt fought in that war. And it would be even more likely that your family bloodline has something involving with the Honkai." That was what she said, if he remembered correctly.

"The second Honkai War began in the year 2000 in Siberia. Specifically, it occurred at at one of Schicksal's laboratory named the Babylonia Tower. The war occurred due to the Herscherr of the Void awakening from the tower and any, if not most of the Valkyries that dared to go fight her would never return. It got so bad that they sent Cecilia Shariac, Kiana's mother into the tower itself, only to stall her for Otto to launch nukes towards the tower, killing both the Herscherr of the Void and Kiana's mother."

"My aunt. . ." Suddenly, his brain remembered about the 'conspiracy theory' that Theresa had told him, and his face was drain of any colour.

A/N: Refer to chapter 13.

'What if that aunt was Cecilia. . . .' He was unsure whether such a possibility existed or not, but the fact that his aunt died in the 2nd Honkai War was undeniable.  Slowly but surely, he began to piece the possibility.

"Is something the matter?" Himeko asked worriedly, unconsciously putting her hand onto his gloved hand. Feeling her hand on his, he snapped back into consciousness and looked towards Himeko.

"Himeko, what was Cecilia Shariac's hair color?" Diake asked.

"It's white, like Kiana and yours. Is something. . ." Even Himeko figured it out almost immediately.

"Is. . .Is it possible?" Himeko asked the same question Diake had in his mind.

"I don't know either. . ." The two became silent for a while until Diake noticed her hand on his. Deciding to have a little tease to alleviate the situation, he softly squeezed her hand. Feeling her hand being squeezed, her attention turned to their hands, earning a blush from her.

"You. . . You're doing this on purpose, aren't you?" Himeko asked the boy, who had a teasing smile on his face.

"Maybe, maybe not~" Diake replied, leaning towards Himeko once again.

"Understand that I am your superior and older than you, D-Diake," Himeko said, unmoved but her blush intensified the closer he got. When he stopped, the tip of their noses were barely touching each other.

"Honestly, Himeko Murata. That's what makes it better."

The boy quickly gave her a peck to the cheek before leaning back to his chair with a victory smirk while gulping down the doubled iced chocolate while Himeko became a blushing mess, her thoughts on the verge of shutting down.

'W-what?! He doesn't mind my age?! H-how is he not embarrassed by what he said?!' Her thoughts said to herself, not really noticing the boy's red cheeks while gulping down his drink.

'She looks cute when she's embarrassed, actually,' he thought blushing cheeks, before setting his cup down to look at the blushing Himeko. To add more salt to injury, he even said, "you look really cute when you're blushing."

"H-hah?!" Himeko became a blushing mess even more as Diake let out a chuckle. Their hands, once softly squeezed by Diake, became intertwined, as if their bond had deepened to something even more.

Diake might just like Himeko after all.