Chapter 33 - Natraja

Anjali: April 1995

I answered my work phone which rarely rang with an outside line, "Hello, Anjali Malkani speaking."

"Hey Anjali, it's me," the soft deep voice responded assuming I would recognize his voice. He was right in his assumption, I recognized his voice anytime, anywhere.

"Hey Alex, how are you?"

"I'm good, I know you're working so I'll make this quick, Tarun cha-cha would like you to stop by the workshop this evening to see the Natraja earrings based on your designs. They look great in my humble opinion."

"Alex, I can't come this evening."

"Do you have to work late tonight? Or are you teaching a dance class?" he asked. He knew my schedule as well as I knew it.

I stumbled, "I can't come in for the next few days, can we do it next week?"

"Oh. Is everything okay?" he asked.

"Yeah, everything is okay," I took a deep breath. "Karthik is on spring break and he's spending the next few days with me. I can come next week," I offered.

"That's why I haven't seen you at the workshop," Alex said and continued, "I'm assuming our Friday lunch is canceled?"

"Oh yeah, sorry about that. Do you mind if we re-schedule?"

"Yeah, next week works. We'll catch up then," Alex said before we said our byes.

It was awkward speaking with Alex about Karthik. I tried to avoid it since I knew he didn't like him.

Glancing at the clock, I realized Karthik would soon arrive at my office for lunch. I shut down what I was working on in anticipation of our lunch date.

At noon I walked to the lobby and saw Karthik. Karthik pulled me into his arms, "Hey beautiful, ready for lunch?"

"Yes, I'm ready. How was your morning?"

"It was great, I slept in, and ate your leftover Indian food for breakfast. Veg pullao tastes awesome for breakfast. I even had time to fix your leaky faucet."

"You fixed the leaky faucet? I've been meaning to call the landlord for that. Thank you," I said as we rode the elevator down arm in arm.

"Always happy to help," Karthik said cheerfully.

We promised not bring up his parents this trip and only enjoy each other. Lately we always argued, and it was ruining our relationship. Karthik genuinely seemed happy and had been sweet, and romantic since he came to New York.

"Where do you want to eat? Thai, Chinese?" I asked.

"I hope you don't mind, but I booked a reservation at a restaurant as a surprise. I've heard incredible things about this restaurant. It's got one of those big-name chefs."

"That sounds incredible," I said, pleasantly surprised.

After a brief cab ride, we were being led to our table at a five-star restaurant.

Karthik held out my chair before I sat down, and when he turned to seat himself, I noticed he wore a stripped button-down shirt with navy slacks. Usually he wore jeans. I held my breath. We were in a fancy restaurant and he had dressed up. Karthik seemed unusually happy and romantic. Was he going to propose to me? I hoped he wasn't. I wouldn't be able to give him an answer given the cloud of his parents hanging over our head. Too much hadn't been settled.

Later that evening

The bell above the door rang as we walked through the workshop.

"Hello, Tarun cha-cha are you here?"

Silently Falling in Love: Race (THE EDITED VERSION)On viuen les histories. Descobreix ara