Chapter 2 - Phone Calls

Alex

My roommates were out, and I had the place to myself, I pulled the phone over to the couch and dialed the number my parents had given me to Arjun's dorm room. I hadn't spoken with him since he'd started college and my parents had been on my case for not checking on him.

I dialed the number and waited until he picked up the phone or better yet hoped the answering machine picked up.

After six rings, I heard a "Hello."

"Arjun?"

"Hi Amar! How are you?" Arjun asked excitedly.

"I'm good, how are you? How's Stanford?"

I heard a woman's voice in the background.

"Did I call at a bad time? I can call later; it sounds like you have company," I offered.

There were muffled noises for a few minutes, maybe I'd interrupted something.

"Hi Alex," a woman's voice said.

"Hi," I said with uncertainty.

"It's Alison, remember me?" the woman said.

"How could anyone forget your annoying voice," I heard Arjun chime in. I chuckled I was on speaker.

"Hi Alison, I forgot you're at Stanford too. How was the first week?"

"It's great aside from the fact your brother has the hots for my roommate."

"He does, huh." Confused because I remembered Arjun had a massive crush on Alison in high school. I never told him how Alison had tried to kiss me one afternoon when she had come over pretending to look for Arjun when she knew he wasn't there. He wouldn't have been able to handle it. Hopefully he wasn't pretending to like Alison's roommate to make her jealous and then getting her to date him. I'd call him back when Alison wasn't around to get the real scoop.

"Oh yeah he does! He told me to help him find the beautiful half naked Indian girl he saw on my floor. He described her as having long dark hair, olive skin, brown eyes and about yeah high."

"Well that sounds descriptive," I said sarcastically.

"I also told you she had incredible boobs that could hold up a towel," Arjun added. I could hear the frustration in his voice.

"First, Arjun never use the words boobs in front of a woman you like."

"Alex, that's what I said too," Alison said adding to my sarcasm, "and that his description described 500 million Indian women."

"Is that why you never asked me out because you like Indian girls?"

Stunned, I wasn't sure if she was asking me or Arjun; hopefully she was asking Arjun.

I heard a thump and Arjun's distant voice. "I asked you out – you punched me remember?"

"Oh yeah. Anyway, Alex, getting back to the story, you will never believe this, the woman who he saw walking around in a towel this afternoon is my roommate! When he came to my room to get my help to look for his Indian goddess, we didn't have far to go! You should have seen him drooling all over her. He wasn't even discreet."

"I'm not that stupid I wouldn't tell the woman of my dreams that her boobs are gorgeous and hold a towel perfectly in place and I'd love to be the guy that unhinges the towel off her goddess of a body."

"And you wonder why you're still single," Alison said.

"So, the goddess in the towel is the woman of your dreams?" I teased Arjun.