"I'll ask the Head Auror to assign you a partner for the mission. How would you like McKinley? He is Scottish after all, so he might be helpful."

"I'm afraid I don't work well with people, Potter. It was hard enough with you." Draco scowled, walking to the door, and opening it. He stopped when he heard Harry chuckle.

"Wow, Malfoy. Didn't know you liked me so much that you can't get yourself another partner."

Draco glowered at him and snapped the door shut, just as Harry started laughing.

"Damn git." Draco growled as he headed away from Harry's office.

Blaise did not take his friend's departure any better than Harry did. He scowled and glowered, throwing cuss words at Draco the entire time. Eventually Draco had to threaten him with his wand to make him stop.

"Zabini, I swear, you are acting like a spoilt brat." Draco snapped, finally having enough of Blaise's attitude.

"No, Malfoy! YOU are acting like a spoilt goddam brat." Blaise snapped back, scowling furiously. "Do you know how stupid it is what you are about to do?" he continued with a hiss. "It's mental!"

"I don't know what it is you are imagining I am doing. The truth is that I am doing my job. I am a consultant Auror for Salazar's sake. It's my job to go on raids and catch Dark Wizards." Draco said exasperatedly .

"The truth is that you are an idiot!" Blaise retorted, crossing his arms.

"Not more so than you are." Draco smirked.

"Well don't expect me to patch you up every time you come back with a wound." Blaise spat, throwing his hands in the air. With that he turned and left Draco alone in the common room.

Hearing Blaise's door snap shut, Draco felt grateful to his friend. Being this upset was proof that Blaise cared, and that meant the world to Draco. For a short moment the lonely feeling he had in his heart lessened somewhat. Then Hermione's face appeared before his eyes and a pang of pain shot through his heart, making his stomach lurch.

Damn fool, there is no point in regretting it now. No crying over spilled milk, Draco, you know the rule.

***

The next few weeks were a blur for Hermione. She went to work, then came back home. For a while, she refused visits from anyone, especially from Harry and Ginny. Even though she knew they had wanted to help and protect her, she still felt their lies acutely. Slowly, though, her feelings turned more positive towards her dear friends. After all, they had faced a war together and they cared for each other too much to let this come between them.

They were nearing the end of October and the weather was changing rapidly. Cold hard winds kept blowing on the streets and icy cold rain was falling once every other day. Hermione soon came back to her usual life, the one before Draco. There were days when she thought of him, sometimes with fondness, sometimes with resentment, but nevertheless, he was never completely out of her mind. Despite that, she furiously tried to make her life normal again, to find happiness in the things she used to. She focused on her work harder than before, started meeting up with friends and even went out twice with Ginny and Luna.

Another person who was more often than not present in her life, was Robert McKinley. For some reason, he and Hermione kept bumping into each other on the corridors of the Ministry or outside on the street walk. That allowed her to talk more with the man, and she soon discovered a kindred spirit in him. He loved books and knowledge and he spoke highly of many accomplished wizards, such as Dumbledore and McGonagall, as to make Hermione like him more and more.