cptr. 5

"Y/n?" The sound of my mothers voice took a few seconds to register, slowly winding its meaning about my awakening brain. "Y/n? Why are you on the floor?"

I blinked rapidly, trying to wake up faster than a dead body and groggily forced myself up on my elbows. "Um... I don't know." I lied, rubbing my eyes.

Charlie approaches still in his ladybug pajamas. "She left our room at like... 2 in the morning, and she wouldn't shut up." He complained through a yawn and stretch.

My heart rate sped a little as I casually scanned the room for Evee.

Mom hummed to herself, then crouched down to me with an inquisitive stare. "Must've sleepwalked." She said scrunching her nose in concentration, placing the back of her hand all over my face. "Huh... could just be stress." She smiled at me and ran her hand over my hair. "Okay let's get this ball rolling. First official day of school for you kids!" She cheered happily, standing back up and walking to the kitchen.

"Shower, brush your teeth, get dressed, you've both got an hour before you have to leave." She announced, padding to the kitchen while wrapping her housecoat around her body tighter.

I laid back on the floor with a big sigh, staring at the ceiling. Today was the start of my unwanted life in France. The only solace about moving here so late in my education meant that in only a year, I'd be out on my own and could move back home.

Just a year. Then I'll be out of here.

With that final thought I cleared my head and climbed to my feet.

The hour came and went and Charlie and I walked out the door. His school was only a few blocks from mine, so It wasn't a huge detour to walk him.

"Oh man Y/n! This is so cool! I can't wait to meet my class, can you?!" He chuckled in what could almost be described as an evil way. "Haha ha! They're all going to love me."

I restrained my concern with mild amusement. The fact that he could only speak the most basic French and still managed to be this confident was astounding.

"I'm sure you're right, Charlie." I mused ruffling his hair.

"Hey, Hey, Hey! Stop!" He whined, swatting my hands away, gaining a few passerby's casual glances. "That took me like, twenty minutes to do!" He grumbled sourly, meticulously placing each hair as it was before.

"Oh! Uh, sorry." I apologized to the grumbly boy, despite it not looking any different then the way it did before. "I don't think anyone will notice though!" I said with a gentle, encouraging voice.

"But I will Y/n!" He sneered, turning to look at himself in the window of a shop next to us, still picking and plucking at his hair. "I'm not dressing for anyone but myself." He stated pridefully.

A smile slapped itself across your face at this tiny feminist. "That's a very good policy." I praised and wrapped my arm over his shoulders, guiding him away from the window. "But we've gotta keep moving if we wanna get to school on time, fix it on the way."

He continued to grumble away, but didn't outwardly object.

After about another ten minutes of navigating the bustling morning streets of Paris, we managed to get to Charlie's school on time. He grinned widely at the school and bounded towards it, almost leaving me behind.

"Hold your horses there bud!" I grappled his backpack and pulled him back.

"Ugh, whaaaaaat..." His eyes never left the bright yellow doors of the middle school.

"Remember your manners!" I unzipped his backpack and rummaged through it, pulling out his excessively highlighted schedule. "Pay attention to the teachers." I turned him towards myself, locking eyes with him like I mean business.