•red x reader

"shitttt, i'm gonna be late!" i whispered to myself as i ran out of my house, a piece of toast in my mouth. i was heading in the direction of professor oaks lab. i gripped onto all my papers tightly while accelerating through pallet town. "almost there..!" i groaned, turning around a corner.

i laughed in joy as i reached professor oaks lab and slammed the door open with pride.

"i'm here!" i said, with my eyes closed and papers flying everywhere.

nothing. pure silence.

i finally bit into my toast, shutting the door behind me

"s-sorry professor, i slept in... now shall we get-" i turned around to see no professor, just another boy around my age.

"hi... professor oaks not here..." the boy spoke

"o-oh." my face heated up as i knew who this was. this was red, the champion of the kanto region. "uh, do you know where he is?" i asked while neatly filing my papers into my hand

red shook his head and his crimson eyes met my E/C eyes. "i don't know... he's been gone for a while..."

i let out a huge sigh, tossing the rest of my toast into a bin and i sat down at my research desk, preparing all my notes. i worked at professor oaks lab in pokemon research and experimenting. i don't do any CRAZY experiments, i just look at pokemon behaviour and the difference between species.

the room felt too silent and i couldn't bare the awkwardness

"so you're red, right?" i spun around in my chair, looking up at the ceiling

"correct. and you are...?" he said, leaning on the desk opposite me

"Y/N, i work here as a researcher."

red nodded, causing me stop spinning as i watched his dark hair bounce. "i know, i feel like i've seen you here before, Y/N"

"uhh... yeah you probably have..." i shrugged, trying to play it off cooly meanwhile i was dying inside because first off ,the CHAMPION of kanto was standing right infront of me and speaking to me and secondly, he's CUTE. i've admired red from afar for a while, just thinking he's cute and has a good work ethic. sure, i've imagined scenarios of us together... i mean he's the only boy my age i ever see ar professor oaks lab... apart from his grandson, but i cant bare him.

red smirked. "yeah. professor oak talks about you to me all the time, heard a lot!"

"y-you have?!" i stared at red, my face burning even more

red smiled, nodding."yeah, he even once said were similar... and he told me that you speak of me highly."

i mentally facepalmed. "uhhh...." i was speechless

red suddenly came over to my desk, standing opposite me. "i wanna see if he's telling the truth." red said, wiggling his eyebrows. i always heard that red was quiet and content... what got over him?

i gulped. "truth about... what?..." i nervously looked everywhere around the room except into reds eyes.

"you." red caused me to focus on him, i searched his eyes in confusion. "it's intriguing, everything he says..." red shrugged

my heart was racing and i felt my body sweat. "uhh... it is...?"

red nodded, smirking. "yep." he then leaned in closer for a moment. "you know, i think we're gonna get along... well."

my eyes widened and i backed away slightly, purely out of intimidation. red noticed this and chuckled slightly. his laugh was so cute. my mind was racing as i was staring at the cutest boy in kanto, staring back at me

"uh... what are you-?"

"Y/N,RED!" professor oak slammed the door shut, panting as if he was in a rush. "YOU'RE HERE!" he waved his arms towards both of us. i quickly straightened up in my seat, forcing a smile but red was still cooly leaning in towards me.

"hi professor!" i waved shyly, it was all i could say or do.

professor oak dumped a pile of papers on a nearby desk and came over to me and red, towering over us both.

"right!" professor oak put his hands on his hips. "it's great to have you two in this research project! i think you'll be a great collaboration!" he grinned

"COLLABORATION?!?" i repeated, before quickly slapping my mouth shut

i glanced at red who had the smuggest smirk i'd ever seen in my life wiped on his face. he suddenly turned to me and WINKED?! my face began flaming up and i shot around back to professor oak

"yes, Y/N!" professor oak clapped his hands together. "i'm going to pair you two together to take part in filling the pokédex! as you know, red is the champion and therefore is worthy of partaking in all the dirty work... and Y/N, you'll be researching his findings and catchings, best of all! soon, i think you two should visit another region, maybe hoenn?" the professor spluttered this all at once.

i stared at the professor in disbelief at what just came out of his mouth. was this a prank?

"gah! i'm getting way ahead of myself, kids! having two of my acquaintances visiting another region... that would be my dream!" professor oak swooned

"so, we're working together?" red turned to me and began eyeballing me up and down

"guess so!" i shrugged, nervous smiling

professor oak snapped out of thought. "AH! have you two met?"

red nodded. "yes! very, very fond of eachother!" suddenly red leaned in even closer to me and ruffled my hair, making me freeze.

"great to hear!" professor oak then turned to me. "does this sound okay to you, Y/N? would you like to take part with red?"

i turned to red who was smiling at me, giving me a look of excitement. i felt a jitter crawl through my body as maybe, just maybe, this meant my childhood dream would come true.

i couldn't speak, i just nodded silently. i shyly smiled up at professor oak, who nodded appreciatively

"AMAZING!" professor oak suddenly twirled, making me giggle. "red... you look after her... she's a precious researcher and i need her back in one piece!" professor oak teased

"don't worry professor..." i felt an arm around my shoulder. "she's safe with me." i smiled warmly at reds comfort.