Chapter 14: Truth Is

Start from the beginning

My mind scolded me that it was crazy of me to do. That I should have been keeping track of my surroundings but I had come to the conclusion that even if he was supposed to do something to me, I still wouldn't be able to properly defend myself.

I've been vulnerable to him—in mind, body and spirit, since the day we first met and it seemed like it was going to remain that way until the day we parted.

When I woke up, my eyes opened to the scenery of the woods. My eyes tore open, knowing that nowhere in Boston looked as mountainous and remote as this place. With my hands against the window pane, I squinted through the darkness. I really was in a forest land. Had we traveled across states? And had I been so daft to sleep through all of that?

Turning back to the driver's seat, I saw that Angelo was nowhere to be seen.

That put me in a state of panic before my eyes went to the backseat anxiously still searching for him.

When my fear had reached his peak, the sound of a tapping came from the window beside me. And you know that when you're in a state of sensitivity, even the sound of a pin dropping would scare the crap out of you. That was exactly what the noise did to me. I froze, heart beating out of my chest.

BAM BAM BAM.

An ear-splitting scream came from me at the excessive force against the window.

Oh my God.

He really was going to kill me!

He had taken me somewhere quiet with no sign of civilization to get rid of me.

Or maybe he had left me to the wild animals?

That's why he had insisted that we came here in the night!

Goddamn it, Isabelle, you're one easy target! I chastised myself roughly.

Turning to take a peek of the person or thing that was my potential killer, I put my hands over my mouth in horror.

It was none other than...

An unimpressed Angelo.

I knew it based on his glow in the dark eyes that looked at me from outside impatiently.

He opened the car door on cue and my suspicion was confirmed.

"Why were you screaming?" He asked in confusion.

I ignored him and continued to look around. "Where are we, Canada? Or did you manage to take me to another state in such a short period of time? Are you sure you're not the magician you constantly refer to? The one who makes me want to disappear like poof! Is this a secret place where disgusting acts like human trafficking take place? Please don't tell me you've been priming me in order to get my lungs."

"I am interested in having only one organ of yours and trust me, it's not your lungs."

He took a hold of my hand to help me hop out of the car.

I stumbled a bit and his arm slid around my waist to steady me. I blushed, feeling some type of way by the rush that came by him touching me.

"Uh...thanks." I coughed out before feebly taking his hand off me.

His gaze was skittish for a second before they refocused on his task. "Come," he ordered before making his way on an unseen path. There was no specific trail so I wasn't particularly confident in him in knowing where he was headed. Still, I followed him. It was better than getting lost in this vast area.

Or you could've not bit the bait and believed the words of Mr. Crazy Pants, my subconscious reasoned.

Huh. She has a point there.