"Why were you mad at yourself?" I asked.

"I mean maybe if I hadn't been so focused on myself and hiding who I truly am, I would have noticed how miserable Zayn was. I knew things were bad, but not bad enough for him to leave, I definitely could have been more attentive." he sighed, shaking his head. "I was so mad, I never even reached out to him. I remember spotting him from across the room at some event after the band announced the hiatus. When we made eye contact, he waved me over but I wasn't ready to face him and just left the event. I guess that hurt him more than I thought because next thing I know, he told the press we were never friends, even when he was in the band. I haven't seen or spoke to him since. Luckily he doesn't get out much, well that is, until today," Harry groaned. 

I rubbed his arm soothingly as I sensed him becoming worked up again. 

"Do you understand why I was so upset now?" he sighed. 

"Yeah, I do," I sighed, "you two certainly have a complicated history."

"And now we have to go to his house tomorrow," he muttered. 

"Harry I saw the way your face softened up earlier when he mentioned his daughter. After hearing this, it all makes sense. Although you've both hurt each other, you said it yourself, he is like an older brother to you. I think you both just need a way to mend your friendship and maybe that can start tomorrow," I offered a reassuring smile. 

"Yeah, babe, maybe it can,"

"Gigi would never have invited you into their home to meet their baby unless she knew that deep down that's what Zayn wanted too,"

"I hope you're right," he sighed. 

After a long and emotionally draining day, we finally fell asleep wrapped in each other's arms. 

~~~

The next afternoon, we found ourselves driving to Zayn and Gigi's home in LA. I was surprised to see that their home was a mere ten minutes from Harry's. After last night, I woke up feeling so sad knowing that these two men have been estranged for so long, but hopeful that everything would turn around. A lot of damage has been done, but at the very least, hopefully, the two can be cordial to one another. 

Harry parked the car in their driveway and opened the passenger door for me. He held a bottle of wine we brought as a gift in one hand and laced our fingers together with the other as we walked towards the front door. 

"Ready," I said, glancing up at him as my free hand hovered over the doorbell. 

"As I'll ever be," he grumbled as I rang the bell. 

We heard a muffled "Z, they're here!" before the door swung open to reveal Gigi looking gorgeous as ever in a pair of jeans and an oversized cream sweater. I was so happy I did not opt to wear a dress. 

"Hi guys," she said giving us both hugs before ushering us into their home. Within seconds, Zayn came bounding down the steps. 

"Hello Lila," he smiled and gave me a quick hug. "Harry," he said, acknowledging him with a curt nod before standing beside Gigi. 

"You guys have perfect timing, I just finished cooking so let's eat now while everything is still hot," Gigi said, motioning for us to follow her through the house and to the patio where she had lunch laid out on their outdoor table. 

"Everything looks so good!" I complimented as Harry pulled out a seat for me at the circular table. There was pasta, salad, quinoa, bread, and fruit, all laid out with care. 

"Thank you!  Zayn actually made most of it," she smiled. 

"Wow, impressive," Harry chimed. I couldn't tell if it was sarcasm or not, but given the twitch of Zayn's eye, he took it as a dig.