NINETEEN

sad calum

The D-word hasn't been brought up once since my unfortunate accident, and I hope the rest of tonight it stays like that

Luke drops me off at sunset, after I finally won a game and we both decided that our brief sexual exploration of each other was to be a one time thing. He doesn't ask any questions about anything, and I think that is just what I need right now.

So when he drives off and I turn to enter the house only to find Calum waiting at the porch steps I instantly wish for him to come back and pick me up again.

"Hey, Chandler..." He stands up, not seeming to know what to do with his hands.

"What are you doing here?"

"I wanted to see you, and explain to you—"

"There is nothing you can say to fix what you did."

"How about I'm sorry? And I want you? Only you."

"You don't want me, Calum. You want Michelle, and you hate that, so you want a quick and easy way to get over her. I'm not going to be that way for you. You need to deal with your feelings before you drag anyone else into it."

"Looks like you could use that last piece of advice yourself. You're buttering up my best friends since before you and Michelle even entered the picture to win their sympathy. You have Michelle, why do you have to take them too?"

"This isn't a custody battle. They can choose for themselves who they want to hang out with. Maybe you should reflect over what you did to make them want to stick with me."

"I have reflected over it; that's why I'm here. I'm telling you I made a stupid mistake and I want you."

"Well I don't want you."

"You don't mean that."

"Why don't you check with Luke? He and his scratched up back can vouch for me."

"Chandler, are you serious?"

"Yeah, I'm serious."

"Are you fucking kidding me?" I can see him grow angry, and for a second he looks more betrayed than anything. "Chandler, don't fucking tell me you screwed my best friend—tell me you did not just go there with the guy Michelle decided to cheat on me with. Tell me you didn't."

"Sucks, doesn't it? That I screwed the one person that would hurt you the most."

"You wouldn't do that, Chandler..."

"You'd be surprised what a broken heart can make you do." I push past him and walk inside, sobs blubbering up as soon as I close the door. My mom comes running, pulling me into a hug.

"Shh, sweetie," she coos, petting my hair. "What happened?"

I don't tell her anything, and instead only cry harder. I pull myself back once I've calmed down a bit and I hiccup. "Mom, is it OK if I stay in my room for the rest of the night?"