EIGHT

"Hey, Chandler, can we talk?" I turn from my locker to face Michelle

"Hey, Chandler, can we talk?" I turn from my locker to face Michelle. I send her a lazy look telling her to continue—not that I suspect she'll leave me be if I say no. "Um, I was just wondering how you're doing. I miss you."

"I'm doing fine," I tell her. "I miss you too."

"How's Calum?"

"Still in love. Except now he cries a lot—did he use to be a crier?"

"He's crying?"

"What did you expect? You broke his heart, Shelly."

"I know I—I feel really bad about it. I never wanted him to feel like this. I wasn't thinking when I kissed Luke, and now my brother won't even acknowledge me."

"I'm sorry, Michelle, but I don't know what you want me to do."

"Can we be friends again?"

"We're still friends," I say. "We can never not be friends, but right now I'm kind of trying to make sure Calum doesn't fall apart completely and I am still mad at you."

"You've been hanging out?"

"He was my ride to the party."

"Oh, OK. Cool." We stand in an awkward silence for a moment before she speaks up again. "Mom wants you over for dinner. You should come by sometime. I know how much you love her cooking."

"Yeah, we'll see," I say through a tight lipped smile. "Um...I have to go. I have a lot of homework."

"Yeah, uh, I'll see you tomorrow or whatever."

"Yeah." I close my locker and hoist my bag up my shoulder. "Bye."

I walk past her and down the hall where I find Calum waiting for me leaned against a locker. I don't look back to see if Michelle sees us walking away together or if she's left already.

"What's up?"

"Are you still having trouble with your calc homework?"

"Kinda."

"Practice is cancelled so I can help if you want."

"Sure you want to? You wouldn't rather get high with your 'bros'?"

"Are you trying to turn down an opportunity to get help with math and a ride home?" He flashes me a sly grin as he spins his car keys around his index finger. "And don't call them my 'bros'. Sounds weird."

"Whatever. All right, my parents are out so we have the house to ourselves."

"A bar owner's unattended liquor cabinet—sounds good to me."

"We can't get too gone though. I still have to remember the math."

"Don't worry, I still have to drive home."