SIXTEEN

shit's bout to get crazy

"Do you need a ride to the party at Michael's tonight?" asks Calum when he pulls out of the school parking lot

"I'm not going..."

"What, why? How are we supposed to defend our title as beer pong champions if my co-champion isn't there?"

"Mom and dad said we're having a night, whatever that means."

"Good enough excuse I guess, but if you get the chance just call and I'll meet you halfway or something. Depending on how drunk I am."

"I'll do that," I chuckle. "Are you cool to go though? I mean it's been a week since your outburst at the beach and Michelle will be there."

"It's fine. I'll avoid her."

"OK." When we arrive outside my house and I go to open the door after I unbuckle my seatbelt, I'm pulled back by Calum. "What?"

"I know you and Harry are still...doing whatever it is you're doing, but..."

"But what?"

I have close to no time to react before he kisses me. I kiss him back for a while. Then I pull his hand away from where he's holding my face and I shake my head.

"What are you doing? We said no kissing weeks ago. Why now?"

"Because I wanted to."

"It's not good, Calum."

"Why not? Doesn't the fact that I can kiss you with no motive to have it push Michelle away just show how I'm ready for it?"

"Ready for what, me? Calum, you still go to hold my hand because you get anxious when you see her."

"Maybe you're what I need then."

"That's not it. You'd squeeze an egg if it was the closest thing to you."

"But you keep kissing me back, Chandler. Why do you do that?"

"It's not that I don't like kissing you, because I really like kissing you. But it's not fair for either one of us."

"Not fair?"

"It's not fair to you for me to be selfish and rope you in like that when you still need to work on yourself, and it's not fair to me to get involved with someone who still isn't over all of the things that came with his previous relationship."

"Shit, Chandler," he shakes his head. "Why'd you have to go and become such a wise ass therapist?"

"You've given me a lot of practice."

I get out and I don't see my parents until they call me down for a late dinner. It feels tense and we sit at the table for close to an hour before they decide to really speak to me.