Chapter 1: Homicide

I sit in the back of the car, laying my head on my brother's shoulder as I watch the snowfall in the windshield in front of us. Dad is driving us to Applebee's to have lunch.

I look up at Cole and he looks down at me and smiles. I smile back and snuggle closer to him. Dad looks in the rearview mirror and smiles at us before focusing his eyes back on the road. Cole and I share a look.

"Are we there yet?" We both ask Dad and then look at each other and giggle.

Dad laughs, "No, not yet. We're still five minutes away."

We both pout at him and he chuckles.

I jump up in my seat and dig out the Nintendo Switch from my bag. "Hey Cole, you wanna play?"

His eyes light up. "Yeah! Super Smash Bros?"

"Duh."

Dad shakes his head. "You two and that damn console."

Cole and I just giggle as we start the game up. I pick my character and look up at him as I wait for him to choose, but in the window behind him, I see a truck slide on a piece of ice, heading towards us. I scream as the truck collides with our car and it goes rolling.

My eyes shoot open as I feel someone shake me awake. I'm immediately met with chocolate brown eyes that are literally three feet away from my face.

"WAAAAHHH!" I shriek and fall out of my chair and onto the floor. I pant heavily and I can't tell if it's from the nightmare or from whoever that was, scaring the shit out of me. I lay there staring at the ceiling just questioning my life.

The person looms over me, staring down at me. They tilt their head before speaking up. "My name is Connor. I'm the android sent by CyberLife. I'm sorry if I startled you."

I look up at him and see that there is a LED on his right temple. He holds a hand out to help me up and I reach up to take it, but stop as the nightmare flashes through my head again. I shake it off and grab his hand and he helps me up.

I brush myself off and look up at the android. "Hey... Connor is it? I'm (Y/n). What do you need?"

"I'm looking for your father, Lieutenant Hank Anderson. I was told that you would know where he is."

I look at the empty desk across from mine and sigh. "I don't know. Probably at some bar. Literally anyone in this department could have told you that without you having to wake me up." I say with annoyance in my voice.

"I'm sorry for disturbing you."

I roll my eyes with a sigh. "It's whatever. Come on. We should probably go look for him." I say. I go to pack up my homework that I fell asleep on, to see that I drooled all over it. I clean it up with the tissues on my desk before putting it all in my backpack. I look at Connor when I'm done. "Alright. Let's go."

Connor and I walk side by side as we walk out of the prescient. Connor calls a taxi and lets me in first before he enters after me.

"Jimmy's Bar," I tell the taxi before looking out of the window.

It's silent between the both of us, but that's fine. It's not like I want to talk to him anyway. I don't hate androids. I actually find them interesting, but I'm not in the mood for a conversation. Connor, on the other hand, tries to spark a conversation.

"When I went to wake you up, I saw that you were shaking." He starts and he turns to look at me and I look at him. "Were you having a nightmare?"

I look down and then turn to look back out the window. "I don't want to talk about it," I mumble.