Chapter 45

I would say I'm sorry

I would say I'm sorry. But I'm not.

FIRST MATE (CONTINUATION)

CHAPTER 45

At his new observation, the foreign power of the Dreamscape surged through Dipper with a renewed vigor. His vision sharpened drastically, able to view and analyze every little detail in crisp HD. He heaved a deep and energized breath, pushing off the ground, and took off running.

Dipper dodged left and right out of the way of the rapidly approaching branches. On the occasion he tripped, he didn't just tumble to the ground either. No, he smashed so hard into the ground, he might as well have been married to it. Then, he used the momentum to duck and roll back onto his feet. He would be back to full sprint in under ten seconds.

The forest blurred past him, his only focus the footprints on the ground that were illuminated by the pale moonlight. Wind whipped by his ears and whistled in the treetops. The fresh, humid air cooled his heated skin and his hot breath blew out in a fog. It was a bit chillier than he originally imagined. A stark contrast to the numb warmth of the scene before.

The trees gave way to a large clearing in the forest. It was bordered with brushes and bushes that could grow without the foreboding presence of the pine trees blocking the sun. Across the ground was tread marks and pathways carved into the dirt. Within the clearing was a large barn, the door open just be an inch with hay spilling out. Against one of its sides were logs and lumber piled atop each other. On the other side, a considerable distance away, was a cabin.

Naturally, Dipper crept over. He proactively skipped up to the door, opening it with a swift swing. It opened so smoothly and with such force that it collided with the wall and the small glass window it sported shattered. Pieces of glass showered onto the floor. Dipper glanced around the room.

It was tiny, very tiny. It had looked small from the outside and the rend continued inwards. There was a small kitchen in the corner of the room and the rest was a crammed drawing-room – plush couches and padded seats, covered in throw pillows and quilts. The chairs gathered around a low-rise table, creating the perfect place to converse over tea. Much too crowded for Dipper's taste, though.

On the back wall was a single door. Dipper assumed it led to a bedroom. And that was the extent of the cabin.

Dipper's eyes narrowed as he glanced around the room. For a nice, cozy cabin, it was cold. There was an even colder chill inside than there was when Dipper was running through the breezy forest.

The cold was familiar. It reminded the pirate of a certain cold gaze.

The connection made his skin crawl.

Dipper walked further into the cabin, footsteps crackling as his boots crunched over the broken glass. He stepped over to the couches, looking over the silk embroidery thread and the patterns they made. He took the time to think.