Chapter 40

FIRST MATE (CONTINUATION)

CHAPTER 40

CRACKK!

The delicate surface of the bolo tie's gem collided with the smooth tile of the foyer floor.  In slow motion, the shatter shot through the gem, branching off and spiraling like a lightning strike.  The cracking sound was jarring as it echoed off the empty walls, making those in the area flinch from the noise.  Bits and pieces flew in all directions, skidding across the floor, scattering like rats.

Bipper watched in awe as the brilliant blue gleam faded to nothing, leaving behind a black and lonely amulet, devoid of color and substance.  Then, all at once, the black and white world began to warp.  The windows slammed open by an unseen wind, the frames smacking against the wall and breaking the crystal-clear glass.  Sounds that mimicked howling wind and pouring rain played on repeat but Bipper found the lot to be more like a distorted choir of human voices.  The lights that hung from the ceiling above and off the walls burst into blue flames, enraged at first, then slowly falling to a careful burn.

Then, all at once, the entire expanse faded away.  It slicked back like flowing water, the grays, blacks, and whites splitting into a rainbow of color.  The real world returned into focus, with the blue-painted walls and golden accents, the green garden and azure sky past the windows that were back to normal, the midnight curtains, brown tables, and red roses decorating the mansion, and the warm yellow sunlight reflecting off the suits of armor and marble floor.

Bipper stood alone by the front door, Gideon across the room from him at the foot of the stairs, and the various slaves backed against the walls around them.  Forming in the center of the room in electric blue particles was a figure.  The particles took shape before blending to the proper colors.  The person in question was William.

He wore the clothes Dipper had first met him in; a white undershirt, blue vest, dress pants, and spotless white shoes.  What changed was the dirtied chains around his wrists.  William lifted them up to watch the sight.  Gentle cracks crept through them and they fell apart bit by bit, disappearing before the debris hit the ground.  The last of the shackles clinging to his wrists broke with a swell of energy and William's familiar blue magic filtered up to his fingertips.  Wisps of magic bounces and twirled between his fingers.

The now freed demon looked to Bipper.  There was a shocked but happy smile on his face, still taking in his situation.  Upon meeting each other's eyes, Bipper promptly split apart and was back to Bill and Dipper.

The pirate captain was clutching his first mate close to his chest, holding him up as Dipper pressed his hand to his bleeding side.  Bill's face mirrored William's as he reached out his free hand to the other.  William came forward with no hesitation, taking Bill's offer.  Without a moment to lose, they fell into each other.  A small gasp of a laugh left Bill's lips as he hugged his little brother tightly, the memory of hearing his voice reviving in his head.

They could have stayed there for days if they could.  No words needed to be said.  All that they needed was to just know the other two were near.

Bill was made aware that Gideon was still in the room when he heard the noble growl in his throat.  He looked up as the three of them broke apart.  Gideon clenched his fists and grit his teeth.  "Damn you, Cipher."  He muttered bitterly.

"Upset you didn't win?"  Bill retorted with a grin, at ease.

"You haven't made it out yet, Cipher."  Gideon crossed his arms.  The handle to the door at the top of the stairs jostled before it swiftly opened.  Out came a generous number of overseers, wasting no time to rush down the stairs to apprehend the two demons and rebellious slave.