Chapter 41

Howdy... I haven't forgotten about you guys, I swear.

FIRST MATE (CONTINUATION)

CHAPTER 41

Robbie dawned the next gun as Nate reloaded the first.  He propped it up at his shoulder and aimed, shooting again at Gideon.  The nobleman was able to dodge the second shot, nearly throwing himself backwards to avoid the lead bullet flying towards his leg.  Dipper took the window of opportunity and scrambled back several feet before he threw himself around to his hands and knees.  He hoisted up, narrowly avoiding crashing into the crowd that seemed to close in around him.

The tan hands of his captain clutched his upper arms as Bill managed to fight the commotion and get back to him.  Bill cradled him to his chest, running a calloused hand through his brown hair.

Dipper managed to look up from the confines of Bill's jacket.  "I told you to slow down!"  He scolded the other.  Bill frowned, furrowed brows distracting Dipper as the demon leaned in and caught his lips.

They broke apart.  "Jesus, I'll make it up to ya tonight."  Bill murmured, taking a little too long to look over Dipper's facial features.  His golden eye softened as he cupped Dipper's cheek, their faces close as their breaths intermingled.  Dipper's body betrayed him as he leaned against Bill, nearly forgetting the scene around them.

A sudden chorus of shrieks tore them from their longing gazes, Dipper flinching and holding Bill tighter.  Dipper regained himself as he looked around, noticing that the rebel army had joined into the fray.  Things had turned so chaotic that he couldn't tell his men from the rest, nor an enemy from friend.  His vision blurred as his head suddenly felt thick and heavy.  The throbbing ache in his skull turned to an uncomfortable heat and Dipper collapsed against Bill once more.

Easily, his captain supported him, wrapping firm arms around his torso.  As much as Bill wanted to rush them to the deck of the ship, he couldn't just drag Dipper behind him like some rag doll.  And neither could they push through the crowd now – fleets of overseers and British soldiers coming towards them from all sides.

"Bill!"  Dipper called to him over all the noise.

"We're fine, Pinetree."  The captain hushed.  "They'd need the Pope to defeat the Demon of the Seas."  He growled, eye glowing yellow as a whip of his blue flames flared to life in his palm.  Clutching Dipper against himself, Bill snapped his arm out, the fire whip flicking forward with cunning speed and tearing its way through a long row of men.

What alarmed him was that Gideon's overseers had only flinched for a second before they returned to pressing forward.  Clearly, Gideon had warned them ahead of time, so they were prepared for his other-worldly magics.

How irritating.

Coming up behind them were more attackers as well.  Bill could only manage to block several blows before he slipped up.  Just barely in time, however, came a wave of fire that matched his own.  And as a considerable amount of their attackers disappeared into black ash, the two pirates looked to the source.  William stood behind the large mass, arms outstretched and breathing a little heavy.

William's eye glowed a brilliant blue, brighter than Dipper had ever seen it glow.  Across his fingertips, like a glove, shone a soft, blue outline that jumped up to form a ball of flames as he readied another strike.  He tossed it across the dock, slicing a burning line through Gideon's men and the British soldiers.  The younger demon twin rushed over to Dipper and Bill.

"I didn't know you could do that!"  Dipper exclaimed, looking William up and down.

William showed a sheepish smile.  "I can do everything Bill can, technically."

"Aye."  Bill confirmed.  "Now, both of you, get to the ship."  He ordered, words backed with increasing worry as he ushered them towards the pirate ship still waiting for them.

With the two demons working together, no one could touch them.  They made it to the ship, finally, and Dipper was hoisted up first.  Bill helped William next and Dipper grasped the quieter one's hand, pulling him onto the deck.  The two of them turned to Bill who had begun climbing up the side of the large ship.  They reached down to help him and Bill up to get to them.

Then, suddenly, he was jerked by something below him, his grip slipping and making him fall several feet back down.

"Bill!"  Dipper called out, leaning dangerously over the side.  William grabbed his waist protectively to keep him from falling overboard.  However, from Dipper's new angle, he saw the thing clinging onto Bill.  Gideon had caught him by the boot and tugged him down far enough to grab onto his belt.

The captain had to turn his attention to the urchin pulling him down.  Gideon was reluctant to let go and his extra weight put even more strain on Bill's fingers that were desperately holding onto the side of the ship.  His fingers slid more, making Dipper tense as he struggled to free himself from William trying to keep him from diving over the side.  "Bill!"  He shouted again.

"Stay on the ship, Pinetree!"  Bill shouted back.  He let go with one hand to put his back to the ship and face Gideon.  He went for a kick first, but that only jostled the two more.  And, it didn't do anything to stop Gideon from getting up.

The nobleman managed to strike Bill in the face, then grab onto his shoulder with his other hand.  The movement, weight, and now hit had finally done it and Bill's agonized fingers couldn't hold on anymore.  His grip failed and the two of them began to fall together.

But... they didn't fall back onto the dock.  No, there was a gap between the wooden planks and the ship and it had grown wider as the waves pushed the ship away.  Dipper winced with an audible intake of breath as he watched the two males slam onto the corner of the dock with a  "THUNKK!" - neither conscious enough after to even try to grapple to something before the waves caught their legs and began dragging them into the ocean.

The captain and nobleman disappeared into the dark blue water, a small splatter of blood on the edge of the dock where they hit.

Dipper bouta commit sodoku when he jumps in after them.

Vote for the story if you're enjoying it!

This is so short. I'm so sorry. It doesn't even meet my 1500 word minimum that I usually do but at least I've gotten it out with a proper way to segway into the final scene. Thanks for your patience.