Chapter 23

FIRST MATE (CONTINUATION)

CHAPTER 23

"Pinetree," Bill said, the words dancing off his lips coldly.

"What?" Lee asked, still grossed out by Bill's previous action of plunging his hand into a corpse.

Bill turned to the other three with a face none of them had seen before. It was emotionless with a cloud of grimness wafting around it. He quickly tossed the bullet to Robbie who caught it with ease. "Every one of my men has personal bullets with their inscription on it. Mine are triangles, for example." Bill explained. "There's a pinetree on that bullet."

"So, Pinetree is the one that killed this guy?" Nate said.

"Looks like it," Robbie said. "The question, though, is still why?" He held the bullet up so the light could hit it, letting all three of them see the marking.

Bill crossed his arms and turned back to the scene. "Look around the room. There was more than just two people in here." His golden eye moved slowly over every crevice and crook. The others followed suit and inspected the room.

Lee spoke up. "There's three different shoe marks... or patterns at least. One path looks like how Pinetree's footprints look back at the camp, so he was obviously here." Lee observed. "There's an outline of a trail of footprints too. Just, there's no trek on the shoe so it's hard to see but it's there."

"What about the other one?" Nate asked, watching where Lee gestured as the other talked.

"That one's a bit confusing too," Lee admitted. "If it's only one trail, this person sure did a lot of walking around. The trek is everywhere."

Bill scoffed. "Whoever said there were only three people involved?"

Robbie looked over, arms crossed as well, bullet still in hand. "You're suggesting that there was maybe two others, just with the same shoe type?"

"Aye," Bill said simply. He pointed to a spot where two of the three trails stood next to each other. It was two sets of the strange trek on either side of Dipper's footprints. "There was two, at least. Look at the sizes. One has bigger feet than the other." He looked at the corpse on the floor. The others got the hint.

"You think he got grabbed?" Nate asked.

"Aye. I haven't seen him all morning." Bill's eyes narrowed. "Someone caught him when he was alone."

"But not many know what Pinetree's face looks like. He can blend into a crowd extremely well." Lee said, scratching his head.

Robbie shifted from one foot to the other, leaning against the wall of the window. "But once you do know his face, it's easy to pick out." He pointed out.

"That's the problem," Bill growled.

"What happened to him then?" Lee asked.

Bill pursed his lips as a silence fell over them. Something dreadful brewed in the back of his mind and it caused a anxiety to fall over him, something he wasn't used to. "There's only one person I can think of."

The other's looked over at him. "Who?" Lee asked.

"I have this way to be able to tell where Pinetree is or at least his general location... and I can't seem to figure that out at the moment." Bill started after a minute. "There's someone who has the stolen ability to counter my own in such a way to block it." Bill's voice turned into a growl. "That little piece of s---!"

(I'M SORRY)

His limbs were like anchors and his blood was as icy as the arctic waters. He couldn't move, he could barely think... Those cold, blue eyes were ghostly and haunting as Gideon drew nearer. Dipper didn't even process that the other had dismissed the mocha-skinned woman and now stood as the only other living object in the room.