XIII. What Happened to Fredrick?

Comincia dall'inizio

"I don't know yet," Emma replied.

"Yet? So, you're going to find out?"

"It's nothing."

"Nothing with you means something. Because if it were nothing, we wouldn't be talking about it."

"I'm sorry -- I thought you called me here to talk about you?"

"Yeah, but talking about you is easier right now."

"What is it? What's going on?"

They lowered their voices to a whisper and Mary Margaret said, "Remember when you told me to stay away from David and I agreed?"

"Yes."

"I didn't."

Emma nodded. "Yeah, I know."

Mary Margaret's eyes widened. "You do? How?"

"Because I'm Sheriff, and you are a lovesick schoolteacher. Covering your tracks is not exactly your strong suit."

"Well, I've been discre- Discrete."

"Two teacups in the sink, new perfume, late nights, plunging necklines. It was not hard to connect the dots."

"Plunging?"

"When I met you, you were a top button kind of girl."

"Huh. Why didn't you say anything?"

"I'm not your mother."

"No. Well, according to Henry and Aubree, I'm yours."

"I just figured that you would let me know when it was time. I'm assuming it's time."

"He's telling Kathryn."

"Everything?"

"Everything."

Kathryn was on the computer and heard David return home. "David? David, come and take a look. I found a whole bunch of great apartment options. I have no idea which neighborhood to look at, but... Have you ever been to Boston?"

David shook his head. "No. No, I've never been."

"Maybe we should ask the Sheriff, Emma. She's from there. She could probably help-"

"Kathryn. I can't go to Boston with you."

Kathryn pursed her lips. "Can't? Or won't?"

"I'm sorry. I am so, so sorry. I... I don't know what to say."

"Try the truth. David, is there something going on that I don't know about?"

"No. No, something happened. I don't know what it is, but there is something that's preventing me from connecting. And it's not fair to you to let that screw up your life. You're right -- you need a fresh start. It's just not with me."

August had Henry and Aubree's book. He'd taken it apart and was treating each page. Across the room, he had several pages hanging on a clothesline to dry. On the table, part of the book was rebound. He took a dried page off the line and added it to the stack before starting to rebind it with string.

Aubree's POV:

Mom, Henry and I were sitting on the couch in Mom's office. Henry and I each had a box with a bow on our laps.

"Oh, go on," Mom encouraged. "Open it."

"What's the occasion?" Henry and I asked.

Mom smiled. "The occasion is I love you two. Go on."

Henry and I opened our boxes and pulled out two video games. They looked like older games. I was glad Mom had gotten me a game, as I loved playing them with Henry.