Remember Forever

Hi! Wow, it has been a hot second since I've updated... I miss you all! I started college a few weeks ago and I'm loving it, but I don't have much time for Wattpad stuff haha. For those of you who are following my works, I'm going to finish up this book soon, and then probably put a hold on my next book for a bit. I have a lot of it prewritten and fully intend on publishing it but I might wait to start it for a few months. I'll make sure to keep you all updated here. But more on that later... right now, I have a long overdue chappy! Only one more and an epilogue after this one. That's insane. Enjoy/comment/vote xxx
-ab

——————————————-

December 30, 2028

Patrick

From the moment that Harper wakes up on her final day of Les Miserables, I can tell just how upset she is about it being over. Of course, she's trying so hard to be strong. She still has to be a mummy this morning, so she has to be strong for her little girl.

That doesn't mean that I don't catch tears in her eyes a few times.

"Harper, hon, are you alright? Do you need to talk about this?" I ask her, as Millie is taking a morning nap.

"No, no, I'm fine," she insists. "I'm just going to miss it. That's all. It's going to be weird to not be on the stage every day, especially since I know it's going to be a pretty long time before I'm back."

"You've been saying that you're going to take a break after almost every show you've done now," I laugh.

"I know, and things have always gotten in the way. This time, I'm really done. I know that nothing is going to change the fact that I'm not going to be on that stage again for a few years, and that's a weird feeling."

"If something comes up-"

"It won't," she says, cutting me off. "I'm saying no to any offers. I need to take time off to raise my daughter. I can't be missing these important moments in her childhood. I want to kiss her goodnight, seven days a week instead of once a week. I want to be around for her first words and her first steps. I don't want to miss anything because I'm at a stupid matinee."

I nod. "I understand. I'm so proud of you for making this work like you have, but I think taking a break is a good idea. I just want you to know that if the situation changes, it will be okay, and we will make it work. Just like we always do."

She stands up on her tiptoes and kisses my cheek. "Thank you, hon. Thank you for supporting me, and being so amazing through all of this. Thank you for not running away from that young girl who just couldn't seem to stay off of that stage, all those years ago. And thank you for sticking by her side, even now."

I smile at her. "I love you; you know that. There is nothing in this world that could ever change that."

"I love you too," she says.

A few hours pass by quite quickly, and before we know it, it's time for Harper to head into the theatre for her two shows today. It's insane that this is the last time she's going to be doing it.

"Can Millie and I come with you?" I ask her. "I think she'd like a tube ride and a walk, even if it is a bit chilly."

Our little girl has already proven to be a city girl. She loves taking walks through the West End. We think that she likes looking at all of the flashy lights on the theatre marquees, really. Her vision is still developing, so the high contrast colours on the signs are also attractive to her, since she can't really see too much very well if it's far away from her face.

"Of course you can come," Harper tells me. The three of us prepare to leave, and hop on the tube into the center of town.

When we get off at Harper's stop, I can tell that she's already starting to get emotional.

"It's all going to be alright, love. Just try to enjoy these last few shows, okay?"

"I'll try," she says, giving me a little smile. We walk to the Palace Theatre, nearly in silence, and once we reach the stage door, she takes a deep breath. "This is it."

"You're going to kill it today, just like always," I say. I press my lips against hers, and they connect for a few seconds as we share a passionate kiss. "I love you, hon. I'll see you tonight."

"I'll see you."

I was able to get off of work with a personal day this evening, so that I can come to Harper's last show. I'm so happy that I'm going to get to be in the front row when she does her thing up there one last time. We've discussed previously how this may very well be her last ever performance in Les Miserables. She says that she really does feel like the chapter is over, and I agree with her. While I'm going to miss it, as I've grown rather fond of the show over the years, we have promised each other that we are going to go to the newly renovated Sondheim Theatre at least once a year, just to check in on it. To make sure that the show is still in good hands.

We are already counting down the days to when we are able to take Millie for the first time. We don't want to until she's probably twelve or thirteen and will fully be able to understand it, but when that day finally does come, she's going to get to experience something amazing. She's going to get to see what it was that brought her mummy and daddy together. This show is, when it all comes down to it, the reason that she's alive.

After walking around the West End for a bit longer, pointing out all of the different theatres and landmarks to my daughter, we make our way back to the tube.

"Mills, let's go get some dinner, and then your grandma is going to come and take care of you for the night. Daddy is going to go and watch your mummy being so amazing and beautiful and talented. I'll tell you all about it, okay? Maybe, if you're really cute, she'll even sing for you tomorrow. But you have to promise to be good for grandma, okay, cuddly?"

She gurgles incoherent sounds, and I laugh. "I'll take that as a yes."

After feeding Millie, I set her up in her swing for a bit while I get changed.

Then, it's time to go to the theatre. After giving my mum the directions and giving Millie goodnight kisses, I find myself on the tube into the West End for the second time today.

I'm surprised at how the emotions are starting to hit me already, before I even get off of the tube.

Tonight is going to be a night I remember forever.