Reunion

Hi kiddos. I honestly didn't proofread the second half of this because I realized I was supposed to be asleep half an hour ago. Oops. I hope it isn't atrocious hahaha. Enjoy/comment/vote xxx goodnight!
-ab

—————————————

May 1, 2028

Harper

"And you're sure that you'll be okay?"

"Harper Elise Alwyn," Patrick tells me, grabbing both of my hands, "we will be absolutely fine. I promise. She'll probably sleep for a bit longer anyway, then we have bottles in the fridge and diapers stocked up. I can read to her and do tummy time with her. Everything will be okay. You just focus on going and having a good time with your friend. I know how much you're looking forward to seeing Brittney."

I smile at him. "Thanks." I really am so excited to see Brit. The two of us grew to be so incredibly close when I was in New York, and the weirdest thing about coming back home was not having her by my side for everything. I have a lovely support system back home, of course. Besides Patrick, I came home to Taylor, Nessa, and Katherine, who were all ready and willing to hang out with me and help me whenever I needed it. I still found myself wishing that Brittney were here.

"I love you, H. I'll see you in a few hours, okay? Forget about us until then. We're fine."

"You'll call me if you aren't?"

"I promise," he insists. "Bye, love."

"Bye," I say. I place a quick kiss on his lips, then swing my purse over my shoulder and walk outside.

Since it's a nice day, I'm wearing one of my favourite outfits- a denim jacket and sundress. The remnant of my baby bump is still a bit visible, but I'm trying to forget about it. I want to have fun with my friend without being self conscious all day.

I hop on the tube and ride to the airport, which takes quite a long time, since it's on the outskirts of London. During the ride, I can't stop thinking about Millie and Patrick at home, and I hope that everything is going okay.

By the time that I make it to the airport, though, I've started to push those thoughts out of my mind. I realize that Patrick is an amazing father, and he has been so helpful recently that I know that he is so capable of taking care of our little girl.

I don't wait at Heathrow for very long until I get a text from Brittney, saying that she is through customs. I smile, knowing that it won't be ten minutes until I get to see her again.

Soon, I make eye contact with her, and both of us squeal, running towards each other.

"Harper!" she exclaims, engulfing me in a hug. "Oh my god, you look so beautiful."

I blush a little bit. "Thanks," I laugh. "So do you."

"That's not the point. I didn't pop a kid out of me two weeks ago."

I chuckle. "That's true. But you still look great."

Brit thanks me, then I look at her. "So. Your first experience on the tube. What do you say?"

"Sounds like a plan," she says. She pulls her suitcase behind her and we head out of Heathrow, just across the road to the tube.

"So, you have an address for your Airbnb, right?" I ask as we are walking to the train. "Oh, and you have an Oyster card?"

"Yeah, I ordered that in advance. And I put the Airbnb address into Google Maps, and it seems to be pretty close to you."

"Where is it?"

Brit tells me the address, and I nod. "I think I know exactly where it is."

"Good, because I don't," she laughs.

"I'll lead the way."

We catch the next train towards Hampstead, and catch up during the ride. I show off some sweet pictures of Millie, and she fills me in on her final show of Les Mis. We have a lot of laughs and it is so much fun.

After reaching our stop, I lead Brittney to the street that she told me she needed, and we find the house number within a few minutes. It's a cute little flat, not too far from my house. It's quite small, but really, that's all that she needs. She's here alone, and only for a month.

"This is adorable," I remark, looking around.

"Yeah, my mom found the place for me. She did a good job. It was really quite cheap, too. I got a monthly rate, which was so nice."

"That's good that they have that option," I tell her. "I was worried that you were spending your whole life's savings to come and visit me."

"Even if I was, it would be worth it," she winks. "No, lets be real, I spent my entire life's savings on West End shows."

I laugh. "That sounds about right. What all are you seeing?"

"I think it would be a shorter answer to tell you what I'm not seeing," she giggles. "I've got Les Mis, Phantom of the Opera, Matilda, Everybody's Talking About Jamie, and a few others."

"Oh, you're so lucky," I gush. "I think I'm out of seeing shows for a few years. Or at least until Patrick and I are comfortable leaving Millie with a babysitter."

"That makes sense," she nods, "but I guess that's a sacrifice you make for your kid."

"Yep," I nod. "I can't wait for you to meet her. Are you up for coming over for dinner this evening?"

"Well, I definitely don't want to cook," Brit laughs, "or find a restaurant."

"That's one of the worst parts about traveling," I agree with a chuckle. "I'm just cooking up some pasta or something simple."

"That's no big deal. It's food."

"Would you like some time to rest first?"

"That would be nice."

"Okay," I tell Brittney. We make plans for me to come back in a few hours so that I can make sure she gets to my house easily, then I tell her that I'll see her later and head back home.

I know that Patrick and Madeline are okay back home. I'm proud of myself for going out and not worrying all day. But I can't wait to get back and see the loves of my life.