One Last Time

Wow... hi guys. I'm so sorry about not updating this book, and with only this last chapter an an epilogue to go! I can't believe this is the final chapter... this series has been such a huge part of my life for over 2 years and I just want to thank all of you who have supported me in writing it. I love you all so much! I have details on my next book that I'll be sharing soon, but right now, let's just get on with it, shall we? Enjoy this final chapter, and leave a comment and vote if you wish! Love you all so much!
-ab

————————————

December 30, 2028

Harper

"I can't believe that this is the last time," I whisper to Brittney as we are standing in the wings of the stage, waiting for our entrance in the final number of the show. Right now, Toby has just begun the epilogue, and behind me, stand Ella and Jack, our Marius, prepared to do the last scene. Any minute now, I'll go on, ushering Toby as Valjean to heaven for one last time.

There's not a dry eye in the audience at this point. Nor is there a dry eye on stage, in all honesty.

This final scene has become so special to Brittney and I, since we get to sing our little duet together. I go on before her, though, so when I hear my cue line, I give her hand a quick little squeeze, then walk on, crossing across the stage to take my mark at my microphone.

"Monsieur, I bless your name..."

Only a moment after I enter, Ella and Jack come on. They have a final scene with Toby, where Valjean says his goodbyes to Cosette and she finally learns the truth about his past. It was always a beautiful moment to portray as Cosette, but it's even more beautiful to watch from afar as Fantine.

I relish the moment, but it's over before I know it. I sing a short solo, then Toby has a line. While that's happening, Brittney enters. Each of us stand on one side of Toby, and the three of us grab hands as Brittney and I start to sing.

"Take my hand, I'll lead you to salvation..."

Then, the rest of the cast comes onstage for the final reprise of 'Do You Hear The People Sing."

Half of them are barely able to form words because of tears. I'm not far from that point, either. I can't believe that this is really it. It's really over.

Before we have even stopped singing our last note, the audience is clapping so loudly. Many of them are on their feet, cheering.

The lights black out and the whole cast scrambles to clear off of the stage for bows, starting with the ensemble.

Bows are, of course, filled with so many massive hugs, tears, and photographs taken from the audience. I haven't allowed myself to catch Patrick's eye for the entire show, in spite of knowing where he was sitting in the front row, until right now. As I'm taking my bow, I look over to him, and see that even he is crying.

He flashes me a smile and thumbs up when we lock eyes, and I give him a smile, as well.

"I love you," he mouths to me, causing me to blush a little bit.

Before I know it, we are all taking one big, final company bow. Principals in the front row, ensemble members in the back row, because there's too many of us to fit in one single row across the front of the stage.

I take a moment to reflect on how grateful I am for this entire experience, even though it was a massive challenge at times.

When we leave the stage, none of us can keep ourselves together. Everyone has makeup running down their faces, and none of us want to get out of costume.

Back in the dressing room, the girls and I spend quite a few minutes taking silly pictures before realizing that we can't delay the inevitable any longer. It's time to take off our costumes, take off our wigs and our makeup, and return to our normal lives. After going outside, we will attend a little closing party, and then, suddenly, we won't be in Les Mis anymore.

This amazing little dream is all over. Just like that.

It feels like just yesterday that we opened, and now, we are closed.

"Is Lucy here, Brit?" I ask my friend.

"Yeah, she said she wouldn't miss this for the world."

I can tell by the way that Brittney is blushing that she's smitten by this woman. I've known that for a long time, actually, but it never fails to make me happy, seeing my best friend so happy.

I can't believe that I just took my last bow, probably ever, in Les Mis. This has been such a major chapter of my life, and now it's done.

I get dressed in a simple, off-the-shoulder, black A-line dress with a pair of red heels, and finish off the look by throwing my hair, which is curly from pin curls, up into a high ponytail and smacking red lipstick on my lips.

When I go outside, Patrick is waiting at the stage door. I instantly wrap him in a hug, which quickly evolves into a massive kiss.

"You were just so beautiful up there, honey. I never fail to be amazed by you." He pauses, looking me up and down. "And now... you look... wow."

I giggle a bit. "Thanks, P."

"Let's get to that party, now," he says. "You deserve to celebrate all of that hard work that you've put into this show, ever since May."

"Let's go," I agree with a smile. I link my arm through his and we start to walk.

"It's weird seeing you this tall," he teases me, since I don't usually wear heels. While I'm generally about a head shorter than Patrick, three inches of stilettos do change that a bit.

"I like it," I tell him. "It's easier to kiss you that way."

He smirks at me, tickling the small of my back a little bit. "Cheeky."

Patrick and I have a great time at the party, and stay out much later than we should, in all honesty. Our little girl will want to be awake early in the morning, no matter what. In spite of that, we are having so much fun with everybody that we don't make it home until nearly 3:00 in the morning.  It's a nice party, and it's great to get to say a proper goodbye to everyone.

I'm sure that tomorrow, it'll hit me all over again that Les Mis is over, but right now, I'm just blissfully happy. I don't know how it could get any better from this.

I just finished up an amazing run of the most amazing show of all time. I've been lucky enough to get to do what I love, for a job. On top of that, I have an amazing husband, and a beautiful daughter who is growing more and more every day.

It's crazy how life works out like that. As a kid, I was just a weird little dreamer. Nobody thought I would end up anywhere, when I announced that I wanted to get a musical theatre degree.

But the universe was on my side, I guess, because here I am. I couldn't be happier.