Chapter 54

Hannah couldn't believe she was doing it. After a talk with Kyle that ended with an agreement, she had given a lot of thought if going through his idea was a wise choice.

She rubbed her dress for the third time to make sure there weren't any wrinkles. Right now she was standing in front of a tall building, staring at the 37th floor where the party was supposed to be going on.

Kyle had offered to give her ride but she had declined only because her mother had never heard of a guy named Kyle and she would probably freak out first then probably consider her to go. Thus, she avoided the drama and chose to go with uber instead.

She took a deep breath, stiffened under her fluffy jacket, and entered the building. The warmth gave her a boost.

Elevator was crowded and she could tell most of the pupils were dressed for the party she was heading to.

After the click, the door opened and the first person she saw was Kyle, standing next to entrance wearing a tux. This morning she wanted to punch Kyle for making her fool but now he was looking more sincere and nervous than ever. The only time she had noticed that behavior was five minutes before the game.

"Oh, you finally came!" Kyle sighed when she reached to him.

"Didn't have much of a choice," she mocked. "Did I?"

"Funny!" He said flatly. "Shall we go!"

"Yes but first things first. No kissing, no hand-holding more than two minutes at a time."

Kyle thought she was joking. "You know you have to pretend to be my girlfriend, not my nurse!" He took off her jacket, carrying it on his left arm.

"Fine!" She gave up and looped her arms with his before entering the hall. It was sparkling with lights everywhere. Huge chandeliers were hanging every corner, colorful artificial veins of flowers were hanging from the ceiling, making the roof ten times prettier. The curtains were matched with white and golden and bouquets of flowers everywhere gave their scents.

Waiters in black and white uniforms were moving like robots, serving everyone. There was a huge table in the middle of the hall where hundreds of champagne glass were kept like a Pyramid.

Next to the table, she saw three men in a fine tux, chatting and laughing. She recognized two of them. One was Kyle's father and another was Clay's father.

She reminded what Kyle had told, party for elites.

"Let's get something to drink first." She heard his fake boyfriend, who first hung Hannah's jacket to the nearby hanger and then swooped her from there to the table where food was available. Kyle stopped a waiter and picked two glasses of champagne.

"You sure you want it," Hannah asked. Champagne was part of the party but both of them are underage.

"Just a sip! Enough to get confidence." He forwarded her drink. "A sip won't hurt. You'll feel lighted."

Hannah never had champagne before or any sort of drink that contains alcohol. The last time she remembered having a hangover was only because she was tricked by a creepy man into drinking something.

She took the glass and finished it in one gulp, just like Kyle did. It burned her tongue and gave an awful taste.

"That wasn't good!" She commented, putting the glass back on the platter.

"Wait until the taste fades away. That is when it feels so good!" She saw him laughing.

Hannah made a face. Before she could come up with a classic punch line to wipe off the look on his face, Kyle's father, Mr. McCarthy approached them. She saw Kyle stiffened and straightening like a military soldier. His face was blank as a white sheet.