Chapter 12

"So everyone lines up," Coach Brandon Scott shouted in the boy's lockers at the players who were scattered around him, "This is the first game after the summer break and I want to you all to put your best in it. Remember the position is open. If you did it, you get to play at homecoming match. So you all ready?"

"YES, COACH!" Collective voices echoed in the locker room and one of them literally shouted at the coach's ear, making him jump backward.

"That's great now-wait...Foley! What the hell are you doing here?"

Justin jerked up his head at the coach's direction when he called his name. He was actually behind the crowd wearing his old jersey which he had kept safe in his locker thinking it may come in use someday. And that day was today.

Other students were staring at him while he glanced at each one of them, trying to figure out what they must be thinking which was very easy to figure out. Cold eyes were shot at him, except for few like Zach Dempsey and surprisingly Clay.

But he gulped hard and then whispered, "To play football coach."

The coach laughed sardonically, attempting to be funny. "Do you know how to play football, Mr. Foley?"

Few laughed slightly, adding on to Justin's embarrassment. He wished Monty to be here right now so he may have someone to accompany him, and support him but the coach had asked Monty to play as Lacrosse captain so he is off from the football practice to give his full focus at that.

"Yes, sir!" Justin almost stuttered, his confidence wearing off, " I was in the team in freshman."

"And I also recall that you were the one who passed the ball to another team. What the heck was that?" Mr. Brandon reminded him as if he had forgotten that. Mr. Brandon may have removed him from the team but quitting football entirely was his choice.

"It was mistake coach. I won't repeat it again." Justin promised though he was barely assured of himself. The gawking eyes at him were making him nervous. He wanted to avoid this but he couldn't find Mr. Brandon right after he left the canteen. But he couldn't find him anywhere. Then he had classes and the only time he got was now.

"Alright then, " Mr. Brandon turned to others, as Lacrosse student emerged at the locker room. He took students out to the field while asking them to play fairly and divided the players in two. "

Foley and Jensen, join team B." Coach announced. "But first you all are going to take rounds. Four rounds! So what are you looking at! RUN, idiots!"

He blew his whistle and each team formed three rows, then ran. Team A which was filled with almost all best players were able to finish in time while the one, mainly substitutes player did a little late. Coach shouted at them as soon as they were finished. "I asked you to run. Not crawl. Even my grandmother could run faster than you."

Justin was panting.

He had practiced the whole summer but it was his first day to play at school after such a long time and he realized how weak he became over time.

He then began doing crunches, as per Mr. Brandon's order then squats and jog before the game started. Justin had completely forgotten that Clay was also playing in his team.

The ball flew in the air, and Zach made a jump and caught it. He moved left then feigned right in search of an open player. Justin was running here and there, half confused which players were on his side. He had forgotten most of it. Coordinates and cooperation. He was no more used to it. Clay was also occupied, mostly time running and waiting for someone to pass the ball but barely any paid the attention. The best players were already nailing the game, not depending upon others, as they were for playing for themselves.