Chapter 8

The blare of my alarm clock wakes me. Groaning, I drag myself across the wooden floor to the bathroom where I shower. I emerge, clean and dressed in a simple black V-neck and black skinny jeans.

As I sit at the counter, sipping coffee, a knock sounds on the door. The hopeful part of me thinks it is Tobias, here to ell me he's remembered, that he missed me, that he loves me. The rational part of me knows it's Zeke or Christina telling me it's time to meet the others.

The rational part was right. Zeke and Shaunna rest outside my door, waiting for me to follow them to the pit, to meet old friends. We start down the rocky hallways and Zeke rests his hand on my shoulder. I glance at him from the corner of my eye and he smiles slightly.

"Did you talk to him?" He asks. Him being Tobias I nod

"Yeah, he said he wanted to remember, I told him some things and we went home. I didn't tell him I was his girlfriend though, I want him to remember that on his own" I say

" Tris, memory serum ca-"

"He'll remember. He has divergent characteristics remember? Maybe he can fight it."

"Okay, speaking of fighting, he can still beat me can you believe that!" Zeke exclaims. I laugh lightheartedly at Zekes outrage.

When we reach the pit Christina is basically jumping off the walls.Soon, the rhythmic sound of four pairs of feet echoes through the pit. Black silhouettes approach us, smiling and laughing. We are crushed in a hug, Zeke and I are smashed together by Uriah, Marlene and Lynn. Will is hugging Christina, who is crying and laughing. We break away and I walk to Will, I stare at his green eyes for a moment before I wrap my arms around his neck, sobbing.

"I'm sorry, I'm so so sorry Will" I sob into his shoulder. He pats my back reassuringly.

"It's okay, it's okay" he soothes " it's what any if us would have done"

We pull back and everyone dries their tears. We sit silently for a while before Uri breaks the silence.
"Wheres the numerically named pansycake?" He asks causing the smile to drop off my face. He seems to notice and looks at me questioningly.

"Tobias took memory serum" I mutter. Uriah is by my side, hugging me before I can say cake. I know Mar doesn't mind because she knows he loves her and that I love Tobias. Will sits there looking confused.

"Who's Tobias?" He asks. We all laugh and Christina takes him to fill him in. Shauna takes Lynn and Zeke takes Uri and Mar.

I don't particularly feel like wandering the compound aimlessly so I walk to Tobias's apartment.

Half way there I realize something I forgot to do. The promise I made to Tobias to figure out if the memory serum could be reversed. I need to talk to Caleb but that could prove difficult because he and Cara are the new Erudite leaders. Johanna and Jack Khang kept their positions. Marcus, unfortunately, kept his position and is now working with Susan's parents. The Duantless leaders are Hannah, Zekes mom, and Bud, Tori's tattoo partner. Turning on my heel, I sprint to the trains, to Erudite, to my brother.

I thought I'd do something nice for you... So here's a sneak peak at the later chapters.
~~~~~

" They're beautiful aren't they?" He asks as I spot them.

Inside, resting on a satin bed, sits two rings, one, a decadent golden wedding ring, set with a fiery red opal and laced with small diamonds. The second, a silver band set with a fiery opal, obviously meant for a man.My mind scrambles for something to say, something to ask, but nothing comes mind.

" Yes" I answer

" Why are they red" Is the first thought that comes to mind after that.

" Flames Tris. Duantless flames. Thought you'd like it more than something just black."