Chapter 20

Abnegation. Drab and grey with its box shaped houses, as simple in the inside as they are on the out. Today, as the sun shines bright upon the vibrant green grass, Tobias and I take a stroll down the gravel streets. Former Factionless meander along the streets, talking to one another and reuniting with family members. Tobias walks beside me, staying glued to my side, as we slide through the mass of people who crowd the streets. The road is a bluff of color, since the leaders haven't gotten everyone new clothing yes, each individual struts around in mixed colors, conforming to no specific rule.

A woman stands at the end if the street, her long hair falling in waves over her sharp shoulders. She wanders around, greeting other factionless who meet her with a hug and a smile. Tobias doesn't stop, not that I expected him to really, he doesn't remember his mother. I don't pull him to a stop since this has to happen sooner or later. He walks forward with me unknowingly approaching his mom.

Evelyn stops and turns toward us, as if she sensed our presence. The moment she sees Tobias, she flings herself into his arms, hugging him tightly. Tobias shoots me a confused look, gesturing awkwardly at the woman who is hugging him. I just bite my lip to contain my laugher.

Evelyn pulls away and turns towards me, gasping.

" You aren't dead" she states

" I don't think so" I say, patting myself.

" Well that's always nice" she says lightheartedly " how are you Tobias?"

"Uhhhh good?" He asks, confused

" Uhmm Evelyn" I interrupt. Her head turns towards me " He uh... um. Evelyn he took memory serum" I whisper in her ear. A gasp escapes her mouth and her eyes flick to Tobias who stands smiling awkwardly.

" Oh" she whispers, tears rimming her blue eyes. Without a word, she turns and walks away

" Did I do something?" Tobias asks

" No" I mutter before dragging him by the wrist. He walks along beside me, glancing around at the box houses. Near the end of the street, sits my and Tobias's old houses. I walk Tobias over to his, wandering around the sides. We linger around for a while before turning to go to my house. Before we get there, a door opens at Tobias's and out steps Marcus.

He walks confidently toward Tobias, who watches his with blank eyes.

" Why if it isn't Tobias" Marcus sneers

" Uh... hi" Tobias greets. Marcus looks confused for a moment, causing me to chuckle

" Whatever you're trying to do it won't work. He doesn't know who you are" I say, watching Marcus's face fall. He scowls at me before turning away.

" Who was that" Tobias whispers

" Mister asshole" I semi-whisper, loins enough for Marcus to hear. A smooth. chuckle escapes Tobias's lips, deep and rich like it has always been.

Tobias and I walked down the cracked roads, tripping every so often on a stray piece of asphalt that littered the ground. Small birds flitted across the sky, zooming in and out of our view, leaving the soft edged picture of the graceful animal imprinted upon me.

" Can I ask you something?" Tobias asks hesitantly

" Sure" I say, glancing at him out of the corner of my eye

" Who were those two people earlier?" He asks " the one you said was and asshole and the woman."

" Oh" I said, shocked. I pulled Tobias over to the corner of an old building, leaning against its brick wall. " Uh... those were your parents."

" What?" He exclaims, shooting to his feet " why didn't you say something?"

"I..." I stutter. Why didn't I say something?

" Were doing this to get my memories back. Do you really think keeping things from me will help with that?" He storms off in the other direction without another word, his shoulders tense.

Why didn't I tell him? He has a right to know that kind of stuff. It's his past and I should be deciding what he knows and doesn't know.

I know why I don't tell him. If I tell him and he remembers I'm no longer he most important person in his life. I won't mean anything to him. I'll be just another bystander as one of them takes over. It's my selfish side emerging once again.

---

It's one in the morning. I have school tomorrow. I'm stupidly tired. Let's have an update.

This book is so... terrible. It's truly awful. I started this book because I had a good ending in mind and I didn't think about the rest. Is anyone actually enjoying this book. Because I'm honestly disgusted with my writing here. I'm not trying to pull the whole oh-look-I'm-a-crap-writer-reassure-me thing. If you don't like this book, tell me. Brutal honesty is great. Constructive criticism is welcome. Just tell me what you think.

In other news, I found a twenty chapter long book. It's still one am. I shouldn't, should I? I will, sleep is for the weak.

That's all for this sleep-deprivation induced rant. Until later. But, I'd like I point out that in not usually ready to crash at one but due to the fact that I got up early and did things yesterday, I'm pooped. Night all