Chapter 17

I checked myself in the mirror one more time trying to convince myself that I did not look like Tiana's minion. The stupid red gown, the fancy bun and all that make-up, that couldn't be true. At least the mask hid my face. Thankfully no one would have to know the person behind the mask made of black lace and beads was Chas.

"Let's go," Emily pulled my arm.

"Yeah all that gazing in the mirror wouldn't turn you back into your grungy self, Cinderella," Melissa adjusted her mask.

"Alright but I hate you guys for making me do this," I ran my hand over the bun.

"Yeah, yeah you can hate us forever for making you dress up like a dream," Emily rolled her eyes.

I saw over dressed students prancing all around as soon as I left our room. Whom was I kidding I was one of them. The silly ball, couldn't we have had a normal Halloween party like any other normal place? Hell, I had almost decided what I was going to be this year. But there I was in the middle of Disney princesses heading for a ball. Did I mention we had to dance with an unknown boy? I wished I was back in Sandbay, all this because of Julian.

We pushed our way and walked over to the entrance of Ivy. There were groups of giggling teenage girls standing close together with their own groups on the right side. The boys were standing on the left. It was hard to recognize anyone and since Julian's hair were back to his shiny blond self I couldn't find him as well. Wait, why was I even looking for him? So that I am not stuck with him at the dance, I tried to assured myself.

"Look at this! It's all so glamorous," Melissa said dreamily.

"Almost like we are at a red carpet event," Emily nodded in agreement looking at shinning lanterns and little fairy lights ornamenting the trees surrounding Ivy. If I was somewhat a little girlier I would have agreed, however my inner tomboy scoffed at all the fairytale like decorations.

"Are we going to stand here forever?" I asked grumpily.

"Cheer up grumpy cat; you might just have a good time," Emily laughed, "Look! Mr Strange has started to distribute the numbers."

And there Mr Strange was in 'his' best I suppose which was a silver satin shirt with flowers all over paired with black pants handing out numbers to the students. He was standing at the entrance on the right corner with a table covered with a mauve table cloth in front of him. On the table, there were two wooden boxed, one on the right and one on the left. The right box was labelled 'Girls' and left 'Boys' in a big loopy font.

"What if I end up with someone annoying?" Melissa asked we slowly started to move towards Mr Strange and his table.

"Ditch him," I rolled my eyes. "They can't force us to stick like glue to our dates.

"That would be rude, and I am sure that's against the rules," Emily stated.

"That's against the rules," I mimicked her and laughed. Emily could be so funny sometimes.

"There you go," Mr Strange handed us our numbers with flourish.

With the numbers in our hands we entered the ballroom. I want to say that it looked horrible from inside and it looked like Barbie puked pink and purple all over but then I would be lying. It looked...beautiful. The colour scheme was pink and purple. Chairs and tables with purple and pink cloth over them were arranged on the side leaving the dance floor in the middle bare. A beautiful crystal chandelier was hanging in the middle of the room drenching the room in soft light and making the floor sparkle. It all looked very movie like with everyone in the room in beautiful dresses, suits and masks; very James Bond-ish. Well, also like a romantic chick flick if I think about it. All I could think about was Julian, which one of these boys could be him, the one in the navy blue suit? No, Julian was taller, so was he the grey one? No, Julian had wider shoulders.