Chapter 12

It was Thursday. The day when I had to prove others I wasn't totally useless. I wasn't low on self-confidence so I had always known I was cool but it was time to show that to others. I was going to submit a good application letter to Juilliard. 'Bachelors in music' was the correct course for me and I had to get into that course some way or another. I had even thought of a melody for the song. Mrs Renaldo had to give me chance.

"So..." Melissa smiled at me combing her hair, "Ready for the big day?"

"Yup...gotta get my game face on," I grinned while folding the paper on which I had written the song.

"It's not fair," Emily pouted as she slumped down on the bed. "You didn't even let us see your song."

"I wanted it to be a surprise." I rubbed some cream on my face. "I just hope it's a good one though."

"I've never seen any of your songs so this will be the first one," Melissa said

"We've to leave or we'll be late for breakfast and I'm really hungry right now. I heard that they'll be serving us Spaghetti Bolognese today! You don't want to miss that." Emily picked up her tote bag.

"That's my favourite," I said softly remembering the Julian dream. It was apparently his favourite too in my dream.

We had Drama in the fourth period. Julian had been ignoring me. I hadn't heard any snarky comments from him all day. He was pretty much keeping to himself. In fact he looked a little gloomy. During Maths I had called him bogger boy and he didn't say anything. Imagine Julian behaving that way. In the past it had always been him who started with a fight. I didn't have time to brood upon this new Julian as I had Drama. All the students had gathered around Mrs Renaldo on the stage.

"Mrs Renaldo," I said hesitatingly because that was the first time I was actually taking interest in a school related matter.

"Yes Chastity?" she smiled at me as the students talked among them about the upcoming play.

"I wrote a song...I was wondering if it can be used for the play. You know as the background music or something."

"That sounds like a good idea," her face lit up. "Can I hear it?"

"Yeah...I've got it right here." I held up the paper in hand as my classmates looked at me curiously.

"Julian," she looked at his dispassionate face and said, "Be a dear and get your guitar."

"But why?" he asked confused.

Mrs Renaldo sighed, "So that we can listen to Chastity's song."

"Alright," he mumbled, "It's in my room so I'll just go and fetch it."

"That would be perfect," Mrs Renaldo rubbed her hands together.

Julian reappeared within five minutes. I couldn't believe that I was feeling nervous. That had to be the first time I was feeling like that. I was going to sing my own personal song in front of everyone. It was a part of me and I was going to sing it out loud in public for the first time.

"Make yourself comfortable," Mrs Renaldo said kindly noticing my apprehensive face.

Julian sat down on a chair with his guitar. I stood next to him preparing myself. I had always been outspoken and outgoing but that was something different.

"Start singing I'll start playing after I catch the tune of your song," Julian said seriously. I was a little freaked out by Julian's behaviour that day. He seemed so brooding and serious.

"Okay," I grimaced as everyone settled down on the plastic chairs eager to hear my song. After taking in a deep breath and closing my eyes tightly, I started to sing.