Ignorance is Bliss

By WAKEUPYOUAREINACOMA on Ao3
ok so, this has 10 mill+ words, which is why its laggy, but is probably one of the fest fics ive read.
anyways, it took a whole ten minuetes for everything to load, so youre welcom..~osha

Bills sucked.

Not that that was a huge revelation. Everyone knew that bills were awful, but Lance hadn't gotten to see that firsthand until he moved out of his family's house and in with his three closest friends after high school. He got to see exactly how much of his money went to food, water, electricity, and rent firsthand, which was why, when Shiro offered a chance to shed one of those financial drains, especially with the added bonus of extra space, the entire household was on board, Lance certainly included.

At least, he had been on board, until...

"Wait, the day 'they' died?" blanched Lance, leaning as far away from Shiro as he could while still remaining in the passenger seat of his truck. "As in, they died on the same day? How?"

Shiro sighed. "Lance, I told you already. They died in their sleep. Same night, same bed. They were found in each other's arms, remember?"

"I...might have zoned out," admitted Lance. "I thought you started talking about a movie or something! I didn't realize we were still talking about your aunt and uncle! That doesn't just happen to people! And by the way, 'in their sleep' is not a cause of death."

"Heart failure," said Shiro, slowing the truck to a stop. "They were old, Lance. Old, and very in love. One of them probably woke up in the night, realized that the other was dead, and died of grief. It happens. It's called broken heart syndrome."

Lance narrowed his eyes, unbuckling his seatbelt. "That's not real," he accused.

"Actually," said Pidge, appearing just outside the open window on the passenger side of Shiro's truck and eliciting an undignified squawk of surprise from Lance, "it's very real. Stress-induced cardiomyopathy happens when part of the heart swells and fails to pump blood properly."

"Yeah, like mine just did when you showed up out of nowhere!" snapped Lance. "Don't do that!"

"Oh, can it, you big baby," teased Pidge, reaching inside to tug on Lance's ear. "Broken heart syndrome isn't even fatal most of the time."

"See!" said Lance, gesticulating with one hand and batting Pidge's pinching fingers away with the other. "Not usually fatal! There's something weird going on with your aunt and uncle's deaths, Shiro. People don't just die at the same time in the same place by chance."

"Wow, Lance," said Pidge, eyebrow cocked. "Do you even know what tact is?"

"I'm just saying." Lance pushed open his door, nearly causing Pidge to fall from the step just beyond it. "It's weird. No one can say it's not weird."

"Actually, we can," said Pidge, looking rather disgruntled from the near-fall Lance had caused. "Now come help Hunk move the mattresses. I would, but these short, skinny arms are meant for delicate equipment, not furniture big enough for Hunk to sleep on."

"Yeah, yeah," sighed Lance, stepping out onto the grass and peering up at the three-story house he'd be living in until further notice. On the second floor, a curtain flapped in the wind, the motion catching Lance's attention for only a moment before he turned around to head for the trailer full of mattresses he was supposed to be moving.

"...Wait."

Eyes snapping open wide, Lance whipped back around to take a second look at the curtain he'd seen flapping just a moment before. It had stopped moving, and...

...the window was closed.

"...Hey, uh, guys?"

As far as Lance was concerned, the moving curtain was the first clue that his new place of residence was haunted by Akira and Hiromi Kogane.