A Forgetful Rabbit

Several hours later, Anya and Raven were well-fed, well-rested, and ready to continue on to find the Mad Hatter and the March Hare. Christian and Emilio had led them to the edge of the Sizable Woods, which turned out to be a jungle of giant toadstools. And reportedly, there was also a Midnight Express Train Station in the Sizable Woods. They bid farewell to the Steelcrest brothers and entered the mushroom forest.

"Gaaahh! It's a rabbit!" Anya shrieked, jumping behind Raven.

"Why are you so frightened by a rabbit?" Raven asked.

"I came to Wonderland by falling down a rabbit hole. I don't know how it got there, but I swear, if this is the rabbit who did it, I'm going to give them a piece of my mind!" Anya said angrily. "Also, it scared me."

"Greetings, travelers!"

"It talks!!!" Anya yelped.

"Talking animals are very common in Wonderland," Raven said.

"Seriously!? There is something so off about this place! Actually, I already knew that. Crap!"

"Can you help me?" The white bunny suddenly transformed into a young woman with long white hair and grey eyes. She was wearing a formal jacket over a white dress shirt with a pencil skirt and heels. "I have a meeting and I am late!"

"And why should we do that?" Anya asked.

"You are here looking for the Mad Hatter and the March Hare, right? Most people coming to the Sizable Woods are. I go to Book End for tea very often. If you can help me get to my meeting, I will lead you to them."

"Really? Sike! Alright, we'll help. What's your name?"

"I'm Whitney Freund. I must get my tarts from my cottage and also buy a train ticket to the capitol! The Midnight Station is not far off. Come, hurry!"

"I will get the tarts. Where is your cottage?" Raven asked.

"Just follow the rabbit footprints." Raven seemed to find these suitable directions because he quickly heads off.

"I dunno how you Wonderland people do it," Anya muttered. "Meet us at the station, Raven!" she called.

Whitney led Anya through the forest and down various landscapes before reaching the station. Like the one near Grimlocke Manor, it had a sign with gold lettering.

"Alas. I seemed to have left my wallet back in my cottage," Whitney said. "Traveler, do you have money to pay for a ticket?"

"I mean, I have money, but how much does a ticket cost?"

"About 50 wrinkles." That's more expensive than the ticket from the first station!!!

And it was also exactly the amount of money that was left in Anya's purse. She pursed her lips and looked at Whitney. Was spending all of her money on a forgetful rabbit really worth it?

Wordlessly, Anya paid for the ticket and handed it to Whitney. Just then Raven came back with the tarts.

"Thank you," Whitney said, taking the glass dish from Raven.

"No need for thanks," Raven said. "Can you take us to Book End now?"

The train whistle blew and Whitney gasped.

"I am late!" she shrieked and hopped onto the train without another word.

"Hey, wait!" Anya yelled. "What about the Mad Hatter and March Hare!? This wasn't a part of the deal! Get back here!!"

It was too late. The red engine was already pulling out of the station, leaving billowing clouds of steam behind it. Anya stood with her arm stretched out, dazed, as if in a trance.

"...You've got to be kidding me. That train ticket cost us the last of our savings!" Anya moaned, sinking to her knees.

"It's alright."

"What do you mean 'it's alright'!?" Anya snapped.

"She left us a map."

"Seriously?" Anya took the paper from Raven. "This doesn't tell us anything."

"It's actually very specific," Raven said, taking the map back.

"In that case, you lead because I can't read that thing for the life of me." Anya stood up, brushing imaginary dust bunnies off her jeans. "Let's go."