Oops

The first thing Anya registered when she woke up was light. Really, really bright light. Her eyes were half-closed and groggy but when her brain registered footsteps they opened wide.

The light was coming from a lantern dangling from the hand of a young man. Anya and Raven were squashed behind some boxes so he couldn't see them but one wrong move and they'd be discovered.

"Anya? What is𑁋"

"Shh!" Anya slapped her hand over Raven's mouth, looking at him in fear. "If he hears us then we're done for!" she hissed. Raven tentatively removed her hand and nodded.

She shoved Raven further into the back of the wall until they were up against the side of the ship. Realizing they had left their provisions back where they slept, Anya scowled as she debated what to do. She had two options:

She could sneak back to grab their bags and risk getting caught or

Stay here and hope the man didn't find their belongings

Both options weren't very positive and the risk of being found out was pretty high either way. But if they lost their storage of food and water they'd be even more screwed than if they got caught. Anya smiled nervously, silently thanking her lucky stars that she prepared for this.

She crept forward, careful to keep her steps light. She was one step away from her bag when the floorboard under her creaked. Dang, it. Anya grabbed their bags, backtracking into the shadows of the Kraken's cargo. Her footsteps were noticeably more sloppy and noisy.

"Grimlocke, on my mark, go rush forward and head to the deck," Anya breathed. "After that, jump overboard." Raven nodded, face contorting to neutral.

Anya unzipped her bag and took out a small fruit-like object. It was shaped like a rubber duck, with a small stem on the duck's head. If the advertising at the market was correct, then the duck would inflate when she blew air into the stem, becoming a liferaft. The only uncertainty Anya had was that the duck was very cheap. This thing was going to save their life; if it didn't work then they were screwed. The ad also claimed that the duck would become big enough to support two people. If that was also a lie then they were fish food in the literal sense.

"Ready..." Anya's feet tightened in her sneakers.

"Three...

"Two...

"One...

"Go!!"

"Ray, what is taking so long?"

Anya froze, dread seeping into her system. Another person? If Anya didn't know any better, she'd say this was the captain. Oh, they were so screwed now!!

"Don't. Move. A muscle," she practically growled through clenched teeth.

"I thought I heard something shuffling around."

"It was probably a mouse."

"It sounded too big to be a mouse, though."

"Go check then."

A young man popped up from around the corner and Anya wasted no time in slugging his face. In no way was she an experienced martial artist so she winced as she felt something break under her fist. She'd been aiming for his chin but hit too high and cracked the young man's nose. Oops.

The young man stumbled back, clutching his broken, bleeding nose in bewilderment.

"Move!" Anya yelled, shoving past the young man and racing to the stairs.

She sped past the captain, who was shouting something unrecognizable. Anya had no time to enjoy the sunlight or the fresh, salty, sea air as she put her lips to the duck and prepared to blow as much air into it as she could.

"Wait!"

"We don't have time to wait!" Anya snapped, only to realize it was the captain who said it and not Raven.

"Who are you and what are you doing on my ship?" the captain asked. His hair and eyes were as dark and blue as the sea itself. Despite being captain, he was wearing a loose button-down white shirt with a red belt and grey pants with boots.

"Doesn't matter to you. The real question is whether this blond idiot and I have to swim for our lives. I'm more than prepared to break another nose if it means I get to live another day," Anya declared with bravado.

"Please do not jump," the captain said.

"It would be very regretful if we had to see a perfectly healthy young woman and man became lost at sea," the young man added, coming up from below deck. His pale grey shirt and orange hair were stained with blood. On closer inspection, he was clutching a pair of glasses. Anya must have cracked them when she punched his face and broke his nose. Double oops.

"What are your names?" the captain asked.

"Maybe tell us what you plan to do with us first," Raven suggested. For once, you say something reasonable.

"We are not planning anything. Personally, I am curious as to who would want to stowaway on my ship and intentionally break the Code of the Heart," the captain said honestly.

"Fine. But any funny business and you can expect more than just a kick to the groin." Anya strode up to the captain and offered her hand. "I'm Anya Haroldsman. It's a pleasure to meet you."

"My name is Alex Fog. I am the captain of the Kraken. This is my first mate, Ray Evergarden," the captain said, shaking Anya's hand.

"Oh, and, uh, sorry for breaking your nose... And your glasses."

"It is fine," Ray said. "It is not like it will not heal. Besides, I have a spare pair in my quarters."

"I am Raven Grimlocke," Raven added, nodding behind Anya.

"Oho!" Ray exclaimed. "What is a prestigious noble doing way out here?"

"Long story short, we're trying to get to the City of Aces," Anya told him.

"Anya said that stowing away would be the most efficient way to get there, but now I am not so sure," Raven confessed. Forget that last statement. You're still an idiot.

"Gee, I feel so appreciated." Anya rolled her eyes. "I haven't been wrong yet, mind you. I came thoroughly prepared for this both physically and mentally. Why else do you think I punched Evergarden in the face?"

"Assuring to know you are committed to this," Raven said.

"I've always been committed to this. What, do you doubt me or something?"

"Perhaps. But my faith in you has been restored. You never fail to surprise me, Anya."

"Thanks, Grimlocke. You never fail to make my self-confidence fall through the gutter."

"Are you two long-time friends?" Alex asked.

"No, we only met several days ago," Raven told him.

"Considering you are trying to get to the City of Aces, it would not hurt to let you two tag along," Alex speculated, "but you must contribute to this ship. As long as you help around, you are free to stay. It is not like we have anywhere to send you off to anyhow."

"Anything to keep from walking the plank," Anya said, smirking.