Saying Goodbye

The girl rummaged through her backpack, double-checking to make sure she had all of her belongings. Her old hoodie, T-shirt, jeans, and sneakers had been repaired and freshened up so they were as good as new. No more doubting the cleanliness of her hoodie now.

Anya swung her backpack over her shoulders. After such a long time, the weight was comforting and familiar. She walked down the crystalline white halls of the newly reformed Diamond Palace, winding through corridors until she reached her destination. The final door was large and made of dark wood. There were plans for it to be turned into a mural of recent events. Anya smiled and pushed it open.

The room was empty and walled in by glass on three sides. It was high enough that you could look at the entire City of Aces from above. Inside the room, there was only one person.

"Hey."

"Hi! Wow, you're on time! That's weird. No one's on time in Wonderland!" the White Queen, Ruler of Wonderland chuckled.

"What can I say, I'm an Alice. And... I really do need to leave. I don't exactly belong here, in Wonderland."

As much as she hated to leave... There were people waiting for Anya back in her world. There was a future waiting for her. She had to go back no matter how painful or tearful the farewell may be.

"I know, I know. But before you leave, there are a bunch of people you need to say goodbye to."

The door burst open and a plethora of people spilled out.

"Anya, you did it! You did it, dear girl, you did it!" the Mad Hatter yelled joyously.

"We just knew you were the one!" Ruth cried. "Boy, were we right!"

Anya embraced the two magicians, hugging them tightly.

"This might sound weird but... Thank you for letting me experience all of this."

"Not at all, dear Anya. Not at all." Taylor smiled. "It is you who we have to thank for so much."

"Don't forget about us!" Whitney piped up. "I didn't forget about you, Anya! So don't forget about me! And don't forget important matters either! Oh, what's this?" She pulled out a pocket watch. "Oh cripes, I'm late!!"

"Let her go," Taylor sighed as Whitney scampered out of the room.

"Bye-bye! Hope to see you again sometime!" Whitney called.

"Always look for the purrfect opportunities, Anya," Fiona said. "You never know what might be lurking around the corner. On that note," She pulled down her mask and smiled, "there will be a time when we can meet again. I'm sure of it." Anya nodded.

"Never quench your thirst for adventure," Alex said. "Keep exploring and never give up! You will always be welcome on my ship, Anya."

"At the same time, keep learning new things," Ray added. "Knowledge is power. Go on to great triumphs, Anya Haroldsman."

"Don't let others boss you around," Emilio said. "Lead the life you want to live. Nobody can decide that except for yourself. I bet you can do anything, Anya. I'll try my best too!"

"Emilio, when you make an invention that helps the lives of the people, tell me, okay? I want to hear about it," Anya told him. Emilio nodded enthusiastically.

"Inspire others," Kyle said. "You're someone people can look up to, Anya. You're strong, smart, kind, and brave. People will admire you for that."

Anya locked eyes with the final person in the room. She smiled and melted into his arms, embracing him for one last time.

"I'm gonna miss you," she whispered. "A lot."

"I will too," Raven murmured back, stroking her hair. "But never let anyone confine you. Be free and strong, Anya. I believe in you. Everyone here believes in you. Here, this is for you."

Raven gently clasped something onto Anya's left wrist. It was a silver chain bracelet with a black raven pendant. The raven had amethysts for eyes, shining blue-violet against jet black.

"Keep it in memory of me."

"I... Thank you. I don't know what else to say. This is the first time someone's given me something like this."

"Then let this be the first but most certainly not the last."

"Preparations are all complete!" Ruth announced. "Are you ready to go home now, Anya?" Ruth tapped the large mirror, its surface glistening like water.

"I am. But with all my memories?" Taylor chuckled. She swept off her hat and bowed to Anya, gesturing to the mirror.

"Yes, with all your memories."

"Don't fret; you will always be welcome here in Wonderland. Return at your leisure, dear Alice," said the White Queen, Ruler of Wonderland.

Anya smiled and began walking towards the portal.

"Anya!"

She turned around when Raven caressed her in his arms. She felt something warm against her lips as Raven's fingers danced along the edge of her neck and cheek. It only lasted a few seconds but that was all it took to knock Anya's breath away. Raven pulled back with a smile on his face.

"I love you, Anya."

"I love you too, Raven. I'll see you someday."

Raven nodded and stepped back. Anya approached the portal. She was one step away from returning when she cast one last glance behind her. She gave a smile to her friends and love before plummeting into the darkness of the mirror.