Chapter 27 - Changing History

The four landed in a heap on the mossy ground. But they didn't turn up in their modern clothes. They were dressed how they were a thousand years ago. Merida was wearing her navy dress with riding slits, Rapunzel in her pink and purple dress with puffy sleeves. Hiccup was wearing his dragon training armour and Jack was in his frost-covered hoodie with no shoes.

"I don't understand -" Merida picked at the sleeves of the dress, confused. "Weren't we supposed to tell our past selves what to say or something?"

"Merida," Rapunzel whispered, "we are our past selves. We're the same people. It's all the same."

"I remember it all now," Jack murmured to himself, touching a leaf falling from a tree as it fell to the ground. "It's all the same!" It all felt so familiar, and Hiccup knew what was going to happen next.

"Well," Hiccup drew his fire sword as the attacker approached from behind Merida and grabbed her again, "you're going to have to get used to it quickly. If we're quick, we could still make it out alive."

"Get off me!"

"Shut up Scot!"

The assassin didn't speak again. Hiccup had tackled him to the floor, rolling him over and preventing him saying the spell that would break them apart and strengthen Mord'u. Jack blasted him with his ice and the assassin lay there, weak and feeble. But they knew the one thing they had to do before Mord'u could kill them again and they had no chance of survival. They had to confess.

Jack turned to Rapunzel and opened his mouth to speak but her lips were on his already. He kissed back passionately and took her into his arms before breaking away and speaking frantically in case the assassin woke up and finished the curse.

"Rapunzel," he breathed, "ever since I saw you in the tower I loved you. Your eyes are the most beautiful things I've ever seen. You're stunning and I love you, I love you so much it makes me insane -"

"Jack," she cut him off, "ever since you broke in to my tower I loved you. You intrigued me so much but all I wanted was to kiss you and tell you how much you meant to me. You've made me what I am today and for that I love you."

Hiccup grabbed Merida's arm, the assassin was stirring slightly and fumbling towards his sword.

"Merida -" he began, but Merida wasn't going to let him finish.

"No, you listen," Merida pulled him closer, "Hiccup Haddock, I loved you from the moment I saw you from the top of the Fire Falls. You're stupid and dorky and ridiculous but you're handsome as hell and I love you. I thought I couldn't fall for a man but you proved me wrong."

"Merida -" Hiccup began, "I can't tell you how much you stunned me when I first met you. Your hair is like fire and it's the most beautiful thing about you. I can't believe out of everyone you could choose you chose me but I'm the happiest man alive for it."

Merida pulled his armour down and kissed him hard. Hiccup wrapped his arms around her and pulled her even nearer, if that was possible.

They broke apart to the sound of an ear-splitting shriek. The assassin had woken and had grabbed his sword at the same time of the kiss. He rose ten feet above the ground and exploded into thin air. There was a thunderous roar and the vision of a bear turning into an age-old prince nodding at Merida, as though in thanks, and rising up into the clouds.

The four of them stood there silently, breathing hard.

"He's gone?" Rapunzel whispered.

"I guess so," Jack grinned at her. Rapunzel shrieked in joy and flung her arms around him. Jack smiled into her shoulder and held her close. He was never going to let her go now. Now they had forever.

But suddenly the ground rumbled. The four held on to each other protectively, but nothing could stop them as they began to rise up and up and up.

"HICCUP!" Merida shrieked, "WHAT'S GOING ON?!"

"I HAVE NO IDEA!" Hiccup yelled back.

"CALM DOWN!" Rapunzel screamed at them.

"THAT'S QUITE CHALLENGING IN THIS SITUATION!" Jack shouted in reply. Before the four of them could register anything, they had been sucked into a portal.

They landed with a crash in an unfamiliar place. It was bright. Merida rubbed her eyes as she got to her feet and helped Hiccup up, then Rapunzel and Jack too. An old man with tattoos, a long white beard and dressed in red was standing in front of them, smiling.

"Welcome, new Guardians!"

"Guardians?!"

A/N Short chapter I know - but I promise to update ASAP! Maybe tomorrow evening or even today? Who knows? Oh, and I never got to thank you all for 4.5k!! This is insane! I love you all!!