Chapter 5 - The First Day

Merida scowled as she climbed out of her mother's car. She glanced up at the slightly shabby building that was to be her home for the next three weeks and her heart sank. It didn't look the most exciting of places at all. A sign stared her in the face saying, "Welcome To Corona Camp!" except it said "Welcom To Corna Cap!" now because some of the letters had fallen off. It did not look particuarly inviting.

Merida's mother signed her in at reception and as she said goodbye to her daughter she hugged her and whispered angrily into her ear,

"I don't want to hear about any bad behaviour. Or there will be a permenant archery ban. Do you understand?"

Merida nodded silently and didn't even look to see if her mother had left. She trudged along the grey corridors to be shown her dormitory; a grumpy lady in a baggy faded vest top was showing her the way and the rooms along the route.

"Here you are," she grunted, flinging open the door for Merida to see. "Room 25. You're sharing with Rapunzel Corona, she's not here yet. Unpack now and dinner's in the dining hall at seven. Don't be late or you won't get anything."

She walked out without saying a word more. Merida looked around her home for the next few weeks. It was dull, desperately dull, dull grey walls, dull saggy beds, dull saggy people... Who even was this 'Rapunzel' anyway? Was that like the fairytale?

Merida flung her suitcase onto her squeaky bed and started unpacking. She shoved it all into one of the drawers that she had to share with this new roomate and got out her headphones from the bottom of her bag. She sat down on the bed, it sank and groaned under her weight, which actually wasn't too much, and started playing her music. Suddenly she jumped. Someone had walked into the dormitory. And it wasn't a girl.

"Oh Gods!" the boy cried. "I'm so sorry. Wrong room."

He had auburn-ish hair which fell in front of his shining green eyes; Merida hadn't ever seen eyes like them. They were haunting, they seemed to remind her of another place, another time, she just couldn't pinpoint when...

"No, no, it's fine," she said quickly. "Do I, do I know you from somewhere before?"

"I very much doubt it," the boy replied, scratching the back of his neck awkwardly. "I don't exactly have many 'friends'."

"I'm sure I recognise you," Merida said absent-mindedly. "What's your name?"

The boy sighed before answering.

"Please don't laugh at me."

Merida shook her head.

"Why would I do that?"

"It's the worst name in history."

"Fine," Merida grinned. "Try me."

"Hiccup Haddock," he said. Even Merida had to stifle a small chortle. "I did tell you it was bad."

"No," Merida said quickly, recovering fast, "there's a guy at my school called Snotlout." Hiccup snorted as he heard the name. "Doesn't really go well when you're trying to get a date I guess."

"Bit of a flirter is he?" Hiccup asked.

"A bit of a flirter is the understatement of the year," Merida giggled. "He flirts with anything with a heartbeat."

Hiccup grinned before speaking again. "Do you know where room 26 is?"

"Right next door," she said, pointing.

"I guess that means we're neighbors."

"Looks like it. Who're you sharing with?"

"This guy called Jack Overland. You?"

"Someone called Rapunzel Corona."

"Like the fairytale?"

"I suppose."

"Hope your roommate's OK."

"You too. See you, Hiccup."

"Wait!" Hiccup said quickly as Merida turned away. "I didn't even get your name!"

"Merida Dunbroch," she said flatly. "I hate it."

"Why? I mean, it's a nice name! Not nice as in, you know, I like you and all, but it's just, it's  a - a nice name."

"Thanks,"Merida smiled.

Maybe summer camp wouldn't be so bad after all...