Chapter 17 - Memory Restored

All four of them felt like a void inside of them had been filled in an instant. A rushing sensation swept through their stomachs as everything returned to them. The times they'd had together. The love that hung in the air that wasn't confessed until it was far too late. How they died. The enchantment that Mordu had placed upon them, to break them apart, to make sure they couldn't interfere with his plans. But they had defied him. Their friendship bound them as one so that now, they could be returned to one another.

Merida gazed into Hiccup's eyes like she was seeing them for the first time. A flicker of his past life flashed through the dazzling green and she felt her heart lurch uncontrollably. She remembered how he had confessed his love as he lay, dying and weak, in her arms all those years ago, and how she leant over his body, her spirit faded and charred, trying to reawaken what had already vanished. Now everything came back to her in one great rush as she remembered everything there was to remember. She covered her mouth with her hands, laughed ecstatically, and threw her arms around him.

Hiccup was taken aback by this sudden gesture, but he soon registered what was going on and leant into her, holding her close like he'd been wanting and longing to do ever since they'd met so long ago. His hands ran through her wild hair as their foreheads made contact. He opened his eyes to meet her sea blue ones, but before he acted he remembered that there were other people in the room. He glanced over at the witch, who was smiling at him.

"Go on," she grinned. "You've waited long enough."

"Give it to her Hic!" Jack shouted, smirking as Rapunzel whispered,

"Aww!" She made sure Merida didn't hear.

Hiccup grinned from ear to ear as he leant down towards Merida. Their eyes closed and their lips crashed together in a rush of heat, time long gone and passion. Neither had felt like this before. They just felt so - free; neither had been granted that privilege in either of their lifetimes. Finally, the pair of them knew who they were and what they had to become. Their lives were complete now that they were in each other's arms. Merida smiled into the embrace as Hiccup's hand stroked her face softly, lighting her nerves on fire. Every touch, every caress was enough to drive the pair insane. Finally though, they both pulled away, breathless and knowing it was the happiest they'd ever felt.

"Hiccup," Merida whispered.

"Merida," Hiccup murmured, like he was hearing her name for the very first time. (Rapunzel was practically fangirling in the corner watching these two.)

"You done yet?" Jack was standing a few feet away, tapping his foot with his arms folded, wearing a raised eyebrow and a smirk. "Only I'd quite like a moment with my girl."

"What?" Rapunzel asked, confused. Jack grabbed her waist and pulled her as close as he could get her without them actually kissing yet. He was practically breathing down her neck.

"Rapunzel," he whispered, "you've driven me crazy over these past thousand years, you know that?"

Rapunzel said nothing, just gazed longingly into his ice blue eyes.

"I don't know what I'd do if I can't have you. I'd go insane." Jack made these words audible to no one else but Rapunzel, leaning down so he could meet her lips, finally.

The result was the best juxtaposition created on the earth. The sun met ice, heat met cold, spring met winter in this dizzying state of madness and yet total order. He was cold, yet so warm and burning at the same time. It drove Rapunzel mad the way he did it. She kissed back with everything she had, and Jack was taken aback by her involvement. He pulled away quickly and whispered,

"Does this mean you like me?"

Rapunzel laughed that ringing laugh again, and kissed him hard. Her lips shaped the kiss, defined it, made it her own.

"You could say so," she giggled.

A/NShort chapter know and it's not my best but felt so bad for not updating thought screw it all! don't care if it's midnight in the UK! I've beelazy arsehole and your followers don't deserve thisSo here y'are.

Oh - and OVER 1K?! OMIGOSH THIS IS AMAZING!! can't tell you guys how happy am!! Seriously none of my stories have reached 1K as quickly and it's you lot who have made this possible so MASSIVE HUGS FOR ALL MY LOVELY READERS, VOTERS AND COMMENTERS! love you all!!