The Solar Cycle

This is in no particular order of events, rather starting at the top of the wheel and clockwise. Each festival is also referred to as a sabbat. The sabbats are festivals similar to modern holidays and are optional to partake in.

Yule (December 20-23): Yule marks the winter solstice. Practices will vary from witch to witch, but feasting, and gift giving are some of the things done to celebrate the sabbat of Yule. Decorating the home with trees and wreaths of ever-greenery such as holly, mistletoe, and pine are also common practices of Yule. Yule aligns with the traditional Christmas. Some foods that identify with Yule include: Yule Log Cake, Gingerbread, Fruits, Berries, Nuts, Pork dishes, Turkey, Eggnog, Ginger Tea, Spiced Cider, and Wassail.

Imbloc (February 2): Also known as Candlemas. Aligns with the traditional Groundhog's day. The modern celebration of Imbolc is considered a low-key, loose and sometimes private affair concerned with reconnecting with nature. Since it's a climate-specific holiday, some followers of the religion adjust their celebration of it to correspond with a date more appropriate to the coming of spring where they live. Imbolc is the season of lambing, of new life, and a time to celebrate the nurturing. 

Ostara (March 19-22): Ostara marks the spring equinox. Ostara aligns with the traditional Easter. It's the time of the vernal if you live in the Northern Hemisphere, and it's a true marker that Spring and warmer, sunnier days have come. It is observed as a time to mark the coming of Spring and the fertility of the land. Celebrate Ostara by planting seeds or starting a Magickal Herb Garden; Taking a long walk in nature with no intent other than reflecting on the Magick of nature

Beltane (May 1): This fire festival is a heady time of lust, passion and fertility, marking the return of vitality to both the Earth and the Sun.  Blossoms on the trees are giving way, and young animals are growing into maturity. Love and commitment are themes of this sabbat. It honors spring at its peak and the coming summer. If the spring has been a fruitful one, usually the rains have produced rich and fertile earth with verdant green woodlands. Beltane celebrates the new life that will emerge during this seasonal transition.

Litha (June 21-24): Litha marks the summer solstice. Litha is a celebration of the start of the long days ahead, as the sun is at its hottest.The Goddess of the earth has blessed the land with lush forests. She is the Old One, the earth mother, the wise one we turn to when we need advice. She teaches us that we must let go in order to move on.For many, this is a time to reflect on how without darkness there is no light, and a reminder about celebrating and balancing these energies within ourselves.It is also a time to celebrate the feminine attributes of fertility, creativity nurturance and abundance

Lughnasadh (August 1): Lammas (or Lughnasadh) is the celebration of the first harvest. In some traditions, Lammas is the time of year when the Goddess takes on the aspects of the Harvest Mother.The earth is abundant with bountiful crops, and livestock are fattening up for the long winter. However, the harvest Mother knows that the cold months are coming, and so she encourages us to begin gathering up what we can. It is the time of year when grapes and apples are ripe for picking.

Mabon (September 21-24): Mabon marks the fall equinox. Mabon is a time of year when the earth is dying a little each day, and as we welcome the harvest, we also realize that the long nights of winter are not far off.  We must embrace this slow descent into darkness before we can truly appreciate the light that will return in a few months. Mabon is a day of balance, with equal amounts of darkness and light, but soon, winter will arrive.

Samhain (October 31): Samhain is known as the witches new year; It is the night when the veil between this world and the next is at its thinnest. It is a time to think about the endless cycle of life, death, and rebirth. Samhain aligns with the traditional Halloween. You can celebrate it as the end of the harvest, and honor the return of the winter. The harvest is over, and now it's time to settle in for the winter with the coziness of a warm fire place, heavy blankets, and big pots of comfort food on the stovetop.

Credits to the research where needed: History.com, LearnReligions.com,