CHAPTER 1 - Why you shouldn't sleep with dolls.

The little girl is fast asleep, snoring gently. Her name is Daisy Cassels, four years old. She has a rosy, heart-shaped and wholesome face with tiny dimples and golden hair which splays across the pillow in her slumber. She likes all things princess, and one day hopes to become an actress in the future- that's quite hilarious actually.

When the figure watching this little girl opens the door with a creak, she steps in amidst the star-spangled shadows and smiles, all set for her work. A full-length mirror is balanced against the wardrobe, letting her admire this new form of herself: A pearl-sheen, porcelain face with taut red lips and eerily large, glassy blue eyes stare right back at her. She has dark red yarn hair and is wearing a periwinkle dress made of some sort of floaty material, stitched legs with an almost moon glow jut out with graceful posture in the dappled moonlight.

Dawn takes a step closer to the infant, and suddenly she is locked inside the tattered ragdoll Daisy clings securely in her grasp. Through it's eyes, she's close enough to listen to the erratic heartbeat of the girl as she launches into a nightmare. Dawn listens and watches everything silently through the doll.

"Hmm, afraid of shadows are we? That's surprisingly a first." With one limp hand, she softly runs it across the little girl's cheeks. Daisy stirs, gasping as the shadows engulf her tiny body.

She lets out a scream as her eyes adjust to her surroundings but with one quick SLASH of Dawn's hand, the girl is on longer breathing.

Four year old Daisy Cassels is no more.

That terror those last few seconds Cassels suffered - that is the thrill Dawn does this for. Seeing her victims in such distress and their petrified eyes begging for mercy. With a grin, She pulls out the needle which has been attached to her dress, and a couple of black buttons.

She places the buttons on the victim's eyes, gets her needle all threaded up, and then she gets to work.

***

She curled up into a ball, eyes wide with horror. Why had it felt like this...Killer, was her? She shivered as she remembered the terror on that poor little girl's face - who the hell would be that cruel to a four year old?

"Ugh. It was just a nightmare Dawn, get a grip." She whispered to herself. A dozen metres away, Axel slept silently on her own velvet bed, jagged haircut covering her eyes.

Suddenly, she tensed. There was a knock on the door, and Masky's voice could just about be heard.

"Hey, Dawn? You okay in there?"  How did he know she was wide awake? Ah well. "You can come in!" She called back softly, pulling down her oversized t-shirt to be slightly more modest. The door squeaked on its hinges as the Proxy entered the room and sat at the foot of her bed. As usual, the guy was dressed in a yellow hoodie, skinny jeans and a blank, expressionless mask.

"Can't sleep? That's been happening to everyone recently. She's the only girl I've actually heard asleep so far!" He gestured towards Axel, who let out a small snore. Poor girl, she must be tired senseless.

Masky chuckled. "Anyways, what's wrong? I thought I sensed fear...?" He yanked off the mask in one quick move as she hesitated anxiously.

"It was nothing Masky, just a stupid nightmare."

"You sure?"

"Positive." There was a small amount of silence for a while, and so many questions ran through Dawn's head, she didn't know which one to chuck at the guy. She wanted to ask about how his and Violet Harper's relationship was going after such a while, but the question she least expected to win managed to escape her mouth.

"Masky? Can I tell you about my dream?" It made her sound like a six year old, but Masky shrugged and sat back down. "If it helps you get to sleep, fine!"

It was kind of awkward talking about her dreams with a friend. Previously, she always bottled up the fear she felt after a nightmare. She let the words spin out of her, like silk.

"There was this c-creepy doll kind of girl who kind of, possessed  this ragdoll. And... and the girl who owned that ragdoll was having a nightmare. And do you know what Masky? That creepy woman killed an innocent little girl. She was FOUR YEARS OLD. And then...and then she got out these buttons and a needle and... sowed it onto the dead little girl's eyes. I... I, felt like I was kind of that woman, in a way. That Killer." She halted for a second and through tear-stained eyes, examined Masky's knowing glance.

"Masky... I felt like I WAS that Killer woman. D-does this mean anything to you? Does it symbolise anything remotely?" He didn't speak for a while, and the silence scared Dawn even more. Did it actually mean something then?

"Masky, you have to tell me! Does this - this nightmare have any meaning behind it? Please, Masky - "

"No." He shot back swiftly. "It just sounds like a stupid nightmare. Why don't you just try to forget about it and go to sleep? If you want, I can get Slender to lend you some sort of anaesthesia so you can sleep without having any more dreams,"

"No thanks. You should rest." She gave him a friendly smile, and picked up the mask lying on her bed. She handed it to him, and he pulled it over his face - shielding those big blue eyes an handsome features. Maybe Violet was right - Masky wasn't that bad.

He was at the door when Dawn couldn't help but question again.

"And Masky?"

"Hmm?" He fixed the mask and cracked his knuckles. "Whassup?"

She hesitated before asking. "Why don't you ever go to bed like everyone else? I mean, even Slender sleeps. You, Hoodie and Ticci Toby are always up and alert, patrolling the corridors. So, when do you ever rest?"

She heard him laugh throatily. "We're just never tired, is all. Our top priorities are to look after you lot. And whilst I'm at it, I might as well go and accompany Violet..." I could hear the devious tone creep into his voice and Dawn's eyes grew wide.

"Masky, you sly dog! I'm gonna make Violet give me all the deets, so you better not get up to anything too bad..." He laughed and quietly shut the door behind him. Dawn was already getting impatient to get a hold on Vi in the morning.

She was also slightly worried. Why would he? Because, usually he's happy to talk to anyone about anything but when she conferred to him about the dream...

... he lied.