Chapter 28

The next few days had an unsettling quiet. Relaxing was not the same anymore. Everyone was tense, their gazes constantly darting around the room as if Jaegyu were to appear at any moment.

Seokjin wished he could say otherwise for himself, but he felt much more nervous than the others. Some time ago this apartment had been a house rather than a home. Now, he had more to lose, as well as a future that he wished to see at any cost.

Hoseok, bless him, tried to brighten up the mood even though he was probably the one that should be worrying the most right now. Namjoon had told him a night ago that Hoseok wasn't on good terms with Zeus, and if another battle were to spark right now, Zeus' power probably won't be much of a help.

Seokjin checked his phone as he absentmindedly stirred the soup on the stove. There was a dozen messages from his boss demanding that he head back to work immediately. All the other messages came from his mocking colleagues, who were asking whether he had finally found a sugar daddy.

He deleted those chats. After all of this, he would definitely try and find a new job.

"Hyung."

"Ahh!" Seokjin screamed, startled. Namjoon stood beside him with a serious look on his face.

The elder let out a long exhale and clutched at his poor heart. "Joon, you scared me!"

"I didn't mean to peep," Namjoon said honestly. "but I saw your messages on your phone."

At that moment, humiliation flooded Seokjin rather than anger. "What?! What did you see?"

"Enough," Namjoon answered, his gaze hardening. "They don't deserve you, hyung. Maybe...I'll talk to my boss if you can join my company. I saw your certificate on the wall - you have the qualifications to do so."

"Really?" Seokjin asked, his eyes wide. "I can?"

"Yes," A small smile appeared on Namjoon's face. "We're in need of a brain like yours."

Seokjin turned back to the soup to hide his blush. "Stop it." He ordered, flustered.

"Not only that," Namjoon's voice sounded strange. Seokjin looked back at him and was surprised to see an embarrassed flush on the man's face. "After I solve the Jungkook situation...I'm kind of thinking of adoption."

Seokjin's hand stilled. He stared at Namjoon, speechless with shock.

He added quickly, "I've yet to ask Kookie. He's turning 19 in two years, but I don't exactly feel safe leaving him with his foster parents."

"You did mention they were cruel to him," Seokjin said softly, recovering from his initial shock. "And?"

"He's comfortable sharing things with me, however we haven't reached a high level of understanding yet. But with you...I can see how much he thinks of you like an older brother."

"Namjoon..." Seokjin breathed, realisation hitting him. "Are you asking me whether we can adopt Jungkook together?"

A nod. They stayed in silence, with Namjoon avoiding his gaze and Seokjin staring at him. Inside, his heart was racing, though he wasn't sure why. He loved Jungkook like the little brother he never had. Removing him from his foster parents' care would be a dream, but doing it with Namjoon? It wasn't a terrible idea, so to speak-

"Hyungs!" Taehyung appeared at the doorway with his arms crossed and an eyebrow raised. "You're taking an awfully long time."

"Watch it Taehyung, I'm cooking your lunch." Seokjin pointed his ladle threateningly at the younger, trying to hide his flush at the implication. Taehyung chuckled and gave them an evil grin before disappearing from the doorway.

Seokjin and Namjoon met gazes, and laughed. Sure, they were currently in a difficult and stressful situation, but it was times like these where Seokjin felt like he could endure it.