Chapter 7

"Thank you for coming." Yoongi offered a small, fake smile to his customer. When he left, the smile immediately slipped off his face.

Jeez...when will that idiot leave...He side-eyed his colleague who was watching him intently from the other side of the store. He was always finding a way to get Yoongi fired.

But most importantly...when will I leave? Yoongi stifled a long-suffering sigh and placed the money in the cashier.

"Hey, Yoongi!" He finally stopped staring at Yoongi and sauntered up to him. "Go take out the trash."

"You're too heavy for me to carry," Yoongi retorted, taking his hat off. "Now move aside - you're blocking the way with your fat a-"

The door jingled as a customer entered the store. Yoongi took that opportunity to make his swift escape.

He wrinkled his nose in disgust when he carried the garbage bag. Did something actually die in the dustbin? Yoongi snorted. Might have been Byungwook's manners...it stinks.

Smiling proudly at his own roast, Yoongi hefted the bag over his shoulder and into the dumpster. He dusted his hands off, wishing he had remembered to bring his sanitiser from home.

When he made his way back to the store, something nearly tripped him. Yoongi let out a few, colourful curses and glared at the offending object. Then, his glare faltered, seeing on what it is.

It was a book. A tattered one, for sure, so god knows how long it had been there. Yet, Yoongi noted with a shiver, he should have tripped over it too on the way to the dumpster - it was a pretty narrow alley.

Yoongi picked the book up. It was small, small enough to fit in his pocket. He ignored how weird the whole situation was and turned it over.

The Tales Of The Greek Gods, it read.

He stared at the cover, depicting three figures. One stood with lightning surrounding him. The guy on his right had water coming up to his waist, while the other on his left stood in the shadows.

Something tingled at the back of his neck, telling him to bring the book home.

Suddenly, a burst of wind blew through the alley, followed by a swooping shadow. Startled, Yoongi whipped his head up, but there was nothing there. His fingers twitched, the strange itch at the back of his mind persisting.

I don't believe in the supernatural. Yoongi reminded himself staunchly, tucking the book into his jacket pocket. He stormed back inside, really for more dramatic flair than actual anger, and quickly washed his hands.

"Take over my shift." Byungwook demanded.

"Of course. I hope you know there's cameras everywhere. I'll be glad not to see you tomorrow." Yoongi stated bluntly, putting his hat on again. Byungwook stood there, his eyes wide while his mouth opened and closed like a fish.

The door swung open as two youths walked in. Yoongi managed to flip Byungwook off(out of the CCTV's view, of course) and put on his best 'convenience store clerk' look. Byungwook stormed upstairs, much to his satisfaction.

"You. I want a discount." A small man slammed a 12-pack of beer and five bags of potato chips onto the counter.

Yoongi squinted at him, recognising the man from many visits of which he had always demanded for a lower price.

"Not today." Yoongi snatched the items and quickly scanned them. "That'll be $19.60."

"Discount or I'll tell your boss." The man snarled.

Yoongi raised an eyebrow at him, unimpressed. "And tell him what? That I refused to give a discount? Hmph...please. Now, pay up or you'll leave this store empty-handed."

The man scowled, probably thinking that he looked intimidating when in fact Yoongi had seen scarier plush-toys than him. Nevertheless, he yielded the money, paying exactly $19.60.

"Stupid, overpriced store!" The man exlaimed, snatching the items away and giving Yoongi the stink-eye.

"Have a good day, sir." Yoongi said nonchalantly as the door closed behind him. For a moment, the store was quiet, having only the two youths at the candy aisle.

He decided that it was the perfect time to investigate the pocket book. Just as he brought it out of his pocket, the store alarms blared as two figures ran out of the door.

Yoongi's eyes widened. "Hey!"

Jumping over the counter, Yoongi immediately gave chase. Sure, he wasn't strong enough to fight two of them, but he was sure as hell fast enough to catch them.