Chapter 1

Jungkook pulled his hoodie even closer over his face. His steps were quick and fearful. He wished those boys from his school had not seen him.

All he had wanted was a cup of noodles. Why were those bullies at the convenience store? He was lucky enough to recognise them and quickly leave, but had they caught sight of him?

"Hey, idiot! Long time no see!"

His answer was yes.

Jungkook broke into a full sprint through the alley, outraged shouts and mocking taunts following him as he did.

I can't get bullied! He thought frantically. Never again!

At that thought, something like lightning shot through his body, sending fire into his veins. Jungkook tripped at the sensation, his head hitting the cold, hard floor.

What is this? His whole world was blurry. He couldn't hear anything as his fingers trembled. Then, someone pulled him from behind by his collar, and all his hearing returned.

His back hit the floor with a thud as the bullies sneered down at him. Jungkook scrabbled backwards against the cold wall, raising his arms defensively.

"You're always so weak!" One boy gave him a kick to his abdomen.

"Do you think his parents even liked him?" Another asked distastefully. Something in Jungkook's ears buzzed again.

"I don't think so," The ringleader grabbed a handful of his hair and tugged on it painfully, wrenching Jungkook's bruised face up. "I wouldn't be proud to have a son like you."

Something in him snapped. Jungkook's hand gripped around the ringleader's throat, cutting off all his airflow. He couldn't think straight. Anger blocked off all reason.

"Don't talk about me that way!" Jungkook snarled, not even recognising his own voice. The ringleader tried to pry his hands off his throat, his eyes watering, but it was no use.

"Let go of him!" One of his friends yelled out, fear seeping into his voice. Jungkook gripped the ringleader's throat tighter and threw him towards his friend, causing them both to hit the ground. He stood, his breathing heavy as fire burned in his whole body.

"I'll kill you," Jungkook clenched his fists. "I'll kill you!"

The last friend quickly picked up both of his friends and all three of them ran away, whimpering with their tails between their legs. Jungkook growled and started to run after them when the voice of reason returned.

It was as though cold water had been poured onto his head. Jungkook abruptly stopped, dropping onto his knees.

W-What...happened?

He looked at his hands who had choked someone. They were trembling now.

His hands reached up to his hair, gripping it as his whole world descended into chaos and confusion. He never had that kind of strength before. He never had the guts to fight back.

Why now?

Jungkook froze. What if those boys told the school about what he had done? What if he got into trouble? And then he'd have to face his foster parents, who were clearly searching for a way to beat him up ever since he showed up on their doorstep.

His hands quickly found his phone, which was cracked and worn down by all its years of use. With stumbling fingers he tried to dial his only friend.

The call rang in the empty alley. Jungkook waited, his heart racing and praying that his friend would pick up. Then, the call stopped ringing without a reply.

A police siren wailed in the distance. Blue and red light flashed at the end of the alley ahead of him.

Jungkook let out a small whimper of fear and scrambled onto his feet. He started to run, not knowing where he would be going. His phone was still clutched tightly in his hand as he did.