3: Decisions

I hear a noise which wakes me from my sleep, and sit up groggily.

"You're finally awake?" Kakashi says. He's sitting on top of one of the wooden posts. I rub my eyes and look around again. The sun is mid-sky, it must be past noon.

"How long was I out for?" I ask.

He shrugs, "Few hours."

I sigh and stand up, wiping the dust and grass off my back. I begin to leave the training ground, yawning in the process.

"Where are you going now?" he asks, appearing in front of me and stopping me in my steps.

"Does it really matter to you?" I bark, annoyed by this babysitter situation. "You have to stalk me wherever I go anyways."

I go to push past him but he grabs my wrist. I glare at him in frustration, "Well, I sorta wanted to go see Minato-Sensei..."

I sigh and shrug as he lets my wrist go, "Fine. Not like I have anything better to do." I think I see him smile--that's an odd thing to say because his face is covered by an ANBU mask that has only eye holes but his grey eye softens for just a moment and the tension drops.

Even as we walk to the Hokage's tower, by Kakashi's own request, he still keeps close watch on me. He doesn't walk beside me in the streets. Must be something about avoiding people... I don't blame him. I often feel the same way. People are exhausting.

When I turn down a less busy street, he jumps into stride beside me. "Who knew that a mission to retrieve a scroll would turn out with me being practically handcuffed to a lazy-ass ANBU Black Op." I get no reaction from him.

We arrive at the Hokage's office and I go to knock but Kakashi pushes the door and walks right in before I get the chance. I huff, what a big-headed guy. No respect.

"Ah, Kakashi. Nice to see you," the Fourth says with a closed eye smile. "And Misaki, how was your first night?"

"Fine," I reply, forcing a smile. I'm still not thrilled about the whole babysitting thing.

"Really? 'Cause you told me you didn't sleep at all," Kakashi added. I send him a glare, wrinkling my nose and sneering my teeth at him. He looks back at the Hokage, ignoring me.

The Fourth chuckles and scratches the back of his head, accompanying a closed eye smile. "I see you two are getting along well."

I put my hands up in the air beside my shoulders. "When can I be trusted, Hokage-Sama? Because it's exhausting being watched 24 hours a day, especially when it's him." I point my chin towards Kakashi, "He's annoying."

The Hokage chuckles again while he watches his student send a snarling glare back at me. Then he enters into thought for a moment, "You're planning on staying here in the Leaf then?"

I bite my lip. I knew this question was coming, but I didn't really formulate my answer. I don't feel like spilling my guts to these guys so I go with an easy answer, "Hiashi-Sama might kill me if I return without that scroll." It's not a lie. It's also not a clear answer... it could mean anything--that I'm choosing to stay because if I go he'll kill me... or that I'm not leaving until I get that scroll. I'll let the Hokage decide how to interpret it because I'm not even sure how I feel about it.

He takes it in stride and searches my face again. Damn mind reader.

"Here's what I propose," he chimes. I listen intently. "You see, it's October 8th and my wife is having a baby any day now. How about you spend some time with her? She'd probably appreciate another female... she's very emotional," he winks.