Twelve: I Guess We Have Him To Thank For Our Continued Survival

Start from the beginning

"You sent for us?" Alyxia queried, attempting to cut through the tension palpable in the air. She had never felt this insecure and demure in her life. Is this what people normally feel like in front of authority?

The Alpha's disorienting eyes were immediately directed at her, nearly giving Alyxia vertigo. "Lennox here seems to be of the opinion that the two of you may be of good use sooner or later. Although I strongly disagree, I do trust his judgement. Thus, I have decided to spare your lives, in the hope that we can expect your collaboration with us."

Alyxia sighed in relief, a huge weight being taken off of her chest. If they were able to gain the Alpha's trust and understand her motives a little further, maybe she could sway her to their cause and live to tell the tale.

The Alpha held a perfectly manicured hand up. "However, there are conditions. You will be staying under Lennox's observation at an Ignis-approved safe house, and will be monitored at all times. You will not do anything without telling us. And when we demand your services, you shall not drag your feet on the matter." An eyebrow raise confirmed her continued suspicion of them. "Am I clear?"

Alyxia swallowed a lump in her throat. Maybe her freedom was the price she had to pay to get her kingdom back. "Yes."

After a slight pause, the woman clapped her hands together as if to seal the deal. "Well, that's that, then," She stated, not a hint of her emotion betrayed by her face. "Do not make me regret my mercy."

***

Just as mysteriously as they had been snuck into the base, Burt had them blindfolded and whisked up to the surface world. Stumbling blindly through what seemed to be a labyrinth, Alyxia felt a crippling sense of claustrophobia.

When the thick black cloth was removed from her eyes, she took in the now-familiar dusty surfaces of the Hipster. I've seen this place before, Alyxia mused before realising that they were in one of the seedy corners near their dark alley. Somehow, Ignis had a passage that led almost directly to their hideout. After everything she had seen over the past few hours, she couldn't say that she was surprised.

Alyxia turned around to thank Burt, but he had disappeared seemingly into thin air. Casting a furtive glance at Reiley who had already snuck out to check for the patrols, she tried to steady her spinning head. What could Farron have possibly said to convince the Alpha not to kill us? Anyways, I guess we have him to thank for our continued survival.

A low whistle from Reiley alerted her to a lull in the patrol. Following Farron and Reiley's lead, they tiptoed across the tapestry stall towards their alley and into the safety the dark promised them.

Sylvie stood at the front steps of the cottage, worry visible in her silver eyes. On the sight of Farron, she let out a sigh of relief and ran to the boy, engulfing him in a tight embrace.

"Do you have any idea how worried I was about the three of you?" She demanded. Letting go of Farron, she went over to Alyxia and placed her hands on the young girl's shoulder. "You said you would be back soon. But you didn't show up for almost a whole day! Nash was threatening to go off and find you kids by himself-"

"Aw, you missed us?" Farron teased, but Alyxia could see the apologetic look in his eyes. "What matters is that we're here now, and no one's going anywhere for a while."

Sylvie sighed, running a finger through her fine, snow white hair. The melted portion of her face seemed to be even more red and angry than Alyxia remembered. "Get in. You three have caused me enough headaches to last me the next week."

"Yes ma'am," Reiley replied in a perfunctory manner, never one to disobey direct orders. There was a set quality to her jaw that hadn't been there a while ago.