Heartbreak S1 E13

We rushed back to Camelot as quick as we could. As soon as we arrived, we took Arthur to Gaius to see if there was anything that he could do.

Merlin pushed everything off of the table before two knights laid him down.

"What happened?" Gaius asked, before peering down at Arthur's wound. "He's been bitten."

"No, he was scratched," I corrected nervously.

"I tried to save him," Merlin told Gaius, purposely leaving out the part where I tried to use magic again.

"You must tell the King," Gaius told the knights.

"There must be something we can do," I said.

"I wish there was," Gaius replied.

"I'll find a cure," Merlin told us. He then grabbed my hand and went to pull me along to help him.

"Merlin!" Gaius called after us.

"Trust me," Merlin called back.

We ran up to his room to try and find one of Merlins spell books. While Merlin looked under his bed, I looked through some of the cupboards. I was in no way surprised to find that all of the cupboards that I looked in were empty.

"I've got it," Merlin exclaimed.

We then ran back to Gaius to see how Arthur was doing. I sat by Arthur's side and held his hand while Merlin got out the book.

"Here," Merlin muttered.

"The King'll be here any minute," Gaius warned Merlin.

"He can't die. It is my destiny to protect him. We haven't done all the things we were meant to do," Merlin told him.

"That is the lament of all men," Gaius muttered.

"Gaius, he is my friend. He is Chelsea's brother and friend," Merlin reminded him.

"Then save him," Gaius said simply.

Merlin began going through the book and saying spells that could wake up Arthur. After a few failed attempts, Merlin walked over to me and Arthur.

"Maybe the spells need time to take effect," Merlin suggested.

"The bite of a questing beast is a death sentence that no magic can overturn," Gaius told us again.

We then heard footsteps rushing down the corridor.

"Merlin, put your book away quick," I warned.

"Where is my son!?" My Fathers voice could be heard yelling down the corridor.

The door then burst open and my Father came running over to the table.

"Arthur," he exclaimed.

"Do something, Gaius," Father ordered.

"He is trying, Father," I interrupted.

"Gaius will find a cure. We will not let him die," Merlin assured my Father.

"I will do everything in my power," Gaius corrected.

Suddenly Father began to life Arthur off the table.

"Father, what are you doing?" I asked.

"I shall bear him to his chamber," Father told us, before turning and leaving.

Gaius followed him out but I just sat there sadly.

"Chelsea, I promise you. We will find a cure," Merlin said, kneeling down beside me.

"How can you say that? Gaius said there is no cure," I muttered.

"Just trust me. Arthur will not die," Merlin repeated.

He then got up and kissed my forehead.

"Come on, let's go and see if we can help," Merlin said, holding out his hand.

I took it and we went to go up to Arthur's chambers. Obviously whenever someone went passed, we separated our hands, but most of the way Merlin just held my hand in comfort.

"Wait, do you mind if I make a quick detour?" Merlin asked.

I shook my head no and continued to walk up to Arthur's room on my own.

Later that night, I sat in my room trying to read a book. But the thing is, I couldn't t concentrate. My mind continued to wonder about Arthur and everything that was going on.

Just then there was a knock at my door.

"It's open," I announced.

The door opened and I saw Merlin pike his head round.

"Merlin? What's wrong?" I asked, seeing his worried face.

"I'm leaving Camelot," Merlin told me.

I just stared at him in silence.

"You're what?" I asked.

"I'm leaving Camelot," Merlin repeated.

"Why? When are you coming back?" I asked frantically. Merlin looked down sheepishly. "You're not coming back."

"There's something I have to do and if I do it I won't come back alive," Merlin explained.

"What could be so important that you'd give your own life?" I asked.

"There's a way to save Arthur. I must go to a place called the island if the blessed. There I can persuade them to give Arthur his life back but I will have to give mine in return," Merlin said.

"There must be another way," I muttered.

"Chelsea, if there was would I be doing this?" Merlin countered.

"When are you leaving?" I whispered.

"Tonight," Merlin replied.

"Tonight?" I repeated. "No no no no no. Not tonight. I can't-"

"Do you want to know why I'm doing this?" Merlin asked me.

"I know why you're doing this. To save Arthur because that is your destiny but destiny shouldn't be getting you killed," I rambled, before Merlin interrupted me.

"I love you," he blurted out.

"What?" I asked shocked.

"I love you and that is why I have to do this. Your happiness is everything to me and this is what I must do," Merlin said, holding my hand. "I'm not expecting you to say anything back but I just wanted you to know that."

"I love you too," I whispered to Merlin.

"You do?" Merlin asked.

"Of course I do," I laughed through the tears.

"I was not expecting that," Merlin chuckled, but I was ignoring that.

"Oh, shut up," I said, before pulling him into a kiss.

He kissed back passionately, pulling me ever closer. Unlike every other time we kissed, this time felt so desperate and sad as we knew that this would be the last time.

Merlin pulled away and rested his forehead against mine.

"I have to go," he whispered, wiping away a stray tear that was rolling down my cheek.

I shook my head not wanting it to be real. Merlin kissed me on the forehead before leaving.

Just like that my heart shattered into a million pieces.

Merlin was gone for good.

And I would never see him again