4. Fiery Dungeons

Songs for this chapter are:

Someday I'd find my way home - ( Carole and Tuesday)

Cry for you - Lecrae and Taylor Hill

Not too far - Gawvi

I'm fine - Gawvi

Sinners chaos - Gawvi

******

"How about I help you with that wish?" Dan asked, minutes after I had blown the fire out of the candle.

"If you could help me with that wish, you would have done it a long time ago. I know you can't do it. So I won't bother asking you to help me do it. Rather, I would pray for the one who can help me do it to do it for me which is what I just did."  I answered plainly until I realized that what I said had sounded very rude.

I saw it as saying the plain truth but he took it the wrong way, judging from the look of hurt on his face.

He swallowed. "Do you know that slaves escape? Do you believe that a slave can help another slave escape from a bad place like this?"

"I don't know," I answered with an implied shrug. "But I don't think so because masters are wicked people and they always watch on their slaves. So I don't think they can ever get a chance to escape."

"Hmm." He was a bit hesitant but then he continued after a short while. "Can I tell you a story? I know kids love stories."

"Kids love happy stories," I said and he looked at me like he was going to tell the exact opposite.

"Well, this is a sad one. Do you still wanna hear it."

"No." I shook my head vehemently. I was tired of seeing or hearing about sad things. A lot of that already happened today.

"I will tell it to you anyway because only by hearing that story, would you believe that you don't need to wait for your dad to help you out of this place."

"It's not like I would say no to anyone who wants to help me out of this place. No one just ever spoke about it. You especially. I believe that you could help me out with any other thing except for escaping because I thought you did not have the power to do it for me. If you did, you would have told me."

"It's because you never asked for it."

"Do I need to ask you before you know that I don't want to be here at all? I did not need to ask you that I wanted food to eat before you came and told me you wanted to give me food." I asked, slicing a part of my cake with the bread knife and dipped the vestigial triangle of chocolate bliss into my mouth.

"Trust me when I tell you that some of the slaves here actually want to remain as slaves with hopes that the loan shark would take their hands into marriage and then all of their years of slavery would be worth it. That's why I never make any impression towards any slave when it comes to escaping. If you want to escape, you would ask me about it."

"But you should know that I don't want to be here." I insisted.

"Truthfully, I was looking for possible ways to help you out. Those ways just were not working out in the way I wished they would." He paused and then took a deep breath then let it out dramatically in a long sigh.

"So onto my story now." He said. "I lost my mother when I was just seven years old. My dad used to beat my mum so much. Whenever I hear a shattering noise or whenever I get a whiplash, I know it's my dad beating the hell out of my mum. I could not protect her. Nevertheless, my mum could not have died the way she did because she actually had a choice. My mum has a very good friend who was willing to help her. She was willing to take her out of that hellhole of a marriage with my dad if only my mum would give her permission to do so. But my mum never did. She wanted to stay back in the marriage for my sake. She believed things would get better. She wanted to have faith in her marriage. She did but she died right before my eyes."